New Reefer in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by finisproduction, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. finisproduction

finisproduction Plankton

Hello all, this will be my first RT and only my second SW project. I have had all manner of FW aquariums and setups over the last 15 years or so since I caught the bug. In 2006 I had a 29gal FOWLR but it was quite a simple setup - more akin to FW equipment etc.

Recently I have undertaken this project which is an Aqueon 36 bowfront, with DIY stand, 20gal sump with skimmer and refugium. I have added dry rock and shallow argonite and a few pieces of LR to start the cycle.

During the construction of this tank I have used this and other forums and resources on the web as a guide. I have made mistakes, learned a lot, and am in the process of learning a lot more while I try to be patient and watch the cycle begin.

I have also been documenting a lot of the process as I go and may eventually do a blog post with some more pics and the various steps of the process.

Looking forward to learning and growing with the hobby and its great to be able to have a resource and community such as 3reef.

-Cris

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

looks good and welcome to 3reef(even though you have been here)

1 person likes this.
  4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef! Looks like a nice little setup you have there :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef.

What's the big white pipe on the right in the first picture?

That has a siphon break hole that will break the siphon and won't drain the tank way down to there to the sump in a power out- right?

Is that the drain to the sump, of the return?

The sump looks good- I think you need some macro algae in there- chaeto is my vote.
    And the egg crate top on the sump? To hold the light up maybe?

1 person likes this.
  6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Welcome aboard!

1 person likes this.
  7. Rob&Gab

Rob&Gab Astrea Snail

awesome little setup! that is marco right ?

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Phoenix has a very active reefing and saltwater community. Welcome aboard!

1 person likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to 3reef! Setup looks great!

11. finisproduction

finisproduction Plankton

Tank Mechanics

Yes, on the right is the return line which is drilled in 3 places for a siphon break. Also in the event of power failure the sump capacity is more than enough to ensure no flooding, and since this picture I have actually adjusted the return to be more parallel to the surface of the tank so that the return is providing some good surface agitation. (Since it is all but at the surface, any siphon would break almost instantly now anyways but it is something I definitely spent time to be sure of when setting up the system.)

I actually do have a good clump of chaeto algae in there, in the pictures it is hiding behind the LR. I also ended up moving the LR from the sump to the DT so I can monitor it a little easier. And yes, the eggcrate on the sump is to support light but also helps with the cable management from the components in there which seems to work pretty nicely. Also I have a cat who is also a little curious and around that same height so I figure it is a good idea to have the fuge covered. ;)

12. finisproduction

finisproduction Plankton

Yes, it was hiding at the time I took the photo.