new in il

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Jewel613, Apr 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jewel613

Jewel613 Plankton

Hi there! I've been doing searches for various salt water questions and this site always came up, so i decided to sign up so i can just find what i need and ask what i need to! my search now is for lighting and starting a reef...inexpensive good tips/steps for starting out. i'm doing research as i sit here and surf :)

2. Click Here!

3. Jewel613

Jewel613 Plankton

I've got a 65g tank, a yellow tang, clown fish, sleeper goby, watchman goby, coral beauty, pajama cardinal, algea blenny, snails, royal sea urchin, and a twin spot hogfish-oh and almost forgot about my emerald crab.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef Jewel. :)

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Welcome to 3Reef! Were there any particular questions you needed answered. In regards to lighting, what type of lighting are you looking towards?

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to the forum! I have a 65 gallon tank as well! I currently have T5 lighting with ATI bulbs and am very happy with it. I currently have some softies, zoas, an anemone, shrooms, acans, bubble, and torch coral. I haven't had luck with any sps but my lighting can sustain them I'm told. It really depends on what you want to keep in terms of lighting.

7. Jewel613

Jewel613 Plankton

my 65 is 24" deep, 36 long. I'm wanting to go as cheap as i can but still have a good light thats not going to poop out on me in a few weeks or months like i've read about corallife brands. i've been torn between t5 and led. At this moment I don't plan on growing any hard coral-to me the soft ones are prettier and easier to care for (in general).

oldfishkeeper-how many bulbs do you have for your tank? brand? is it ho?

And is there a way to find threads you've posted in but forgot which one it was??? Thanks for the warm welcomes!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Those are very good value lights for the money. They can support any coral out there (IMO). I have 3 of them (well the 120W versions) over my 6' 125. There will definitely be some shadowing on the edges with only one. They make a 24" long version, but it comes with a built in controller and cost about $320 IIRC.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, they are T5 HO and I have 4 ATI bulbs with reflectors.

11. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef. You'll find all the info you need here. You could always go big with halides in a Hamilton reflector ;) I love mine. Those lights you posted will work too, I'm just a metal halide guy so I'm biased. Lol

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.