Switching tanks using new live sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by marlinman, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I have a question for anyone that has the experience or had an experience with swiching tanks and using new live sand. First off I have a 65 Gal reef tank that has a 2" live sand bed. My new setup will be a 120 gal reef with a refugium sump. My plan is to make the move in one day as the new tank will be positioned where the old tank is and use only a 1" sand bed for the new tank. I was told by the refugium manufacturer to use plain sand and seed it with a cup of my old live sand. Use a 6" DSB for the refugium and a normal sandbed for the tank. My LFS long time sales lady that I deal with and purchased the refugium from recommended that I use live sand (CaribSea Arag Alive) and seed it with my old sand instead.
    Question: Will my tank go into a cycle with fresh live sand vs plain sand? It's not too late to bring it back and replace with plain fine sand. Somebody help me! Thanks for viewing.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

live sand is LOADED with phosphates. When I set up a new tank or switch substrates on one, I go with dry sand. I just set up my 150 gallon with dolomite sand from lowes and never saw any kind of spike. My rock was all established and I used some old water but that was about it. I think live/dead sand is a waste of money.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So you still haven't experienced any issues with the dolomite? Was it in bags, or do you know what brand it is, or section it was in? I would be interested in picking some of this up and combining with my sand when I move to a larger tank. Live sand is too expensive.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Using live sand will cause your tank to go into a mini-cycle. But not as bad as what I did. I took my old sand and put it into buckets. Didn't wash it. Just kept it wet. Then I changed over tanks and dumped the old sand in, mixing it around. Added the water and then the rock. What a mistake. I had a two month cycle. So......my was is the way NOT to do it.

6. APC

APC Gigas Clam

When I moved to a larger tank...I did exactly what your LFS person told you to do. I used Arag-alive sand, then added about a cup of sand from my old tank...and of course all the live rock from the old tank. I also used as much water from the old tank as possible. Worked great from me...almost no sign of any cycle occured post move, and no losses in the tank.

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Wow! Still conflicting views! Thanks APC for your experience. I'll check in later.

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I just got back from my LFS and she said that a small cycle is probable regardless of what kind of sand I use and recommended that I put some Prime into the tank to dechlorinate the water. What do you think?

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I had 80 lbs of live sand in the tank from when it was new. I relialised at 220 I nned more I ordered 80 more of dry sand and 20 of live. I never had a problem adding dry sand. I got a small bloom when I added part of the l/s. I added small ammounts week by week though and did it slowelly. I reccomend adding slow! Like everything in reef tanks take your time.

11. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

live sand...phosphates? Seems odd, i never had a problem and have used live sand for years.

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Well, this is quite a way to entertain yourself on Saturday Night! I started putting the base rock and some water into the new tank. The All Glass overflow kits were fairly simple to install. I used Sea View to attach the black background. That works like tinted glass for cars. I've got my 500W titanium heater getting the water right. The tank is still maneuverable but I'm pushing the limit. I will probably drain some of it out when I move it into place. Today hopefully I will begin the final leg of this task. I'm excited!:cheesy:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009