ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Pajama Cardinal

Skin: Mint
reefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery
Default Plenum live sand system?

Have any of you used this system in your tanks with success and how did you construct it?
reefnJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
3reef Sponsor

Skin: Classic
TritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Had a 55G once with undergravel filter. Ran water through the filter for a few weeks then capped off the riser tubes, leaving the plenum under the sand for an anaerobic zone. System ran for a couple of years before we took the system down. No problems and low to zero nitrates.
TritonsGarden is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Fire Goby

coylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I've read a lot on them and they used to be the standard from what I read. Just have fallen out of favour recently for newer methods. I have never used one myself, but I do think that they are a bit dated and have been replaced for a reason. Just my 2 cents.
coylee_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Pajama Cardinal

reefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond reputereefnJeff has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

I heard this sytem was really good on nitrates, what was suggested to me was to put crushed coral on top the undergravel filter, then place a screen on top of the crushed coral, then live sand on top the screen, just not sure how this system works.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Pajama Cardinal

3reefer 

gallery

What are some of the newer methods? I'm kind of old fashioned in my thoughts and age but I always believed newer is not always better.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
3reef Sponsor

TritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond reputeTritonsGarden has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Coil denitrators
Sulfur reactors
Algae turf scrubbers
Refugiums
Deep sand beds
Carbon dosing i.e. vodka, vinegar or biopellets

You name it. There are many methods with varying degrees of effectiveness.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Fire Goby

coylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond reputecoylee_17 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I think part of the problem with the plenum system was that it didn't provide for a place anaerobic bacteria as there was constant movement through the substrate. This is a very important part of the nitrogen cycle in our tanks. Also they would collect detritus and become nitrate factories overtime without proper maintenance (we tend to get lazy overtime and why add more work). I've never used this system so I could be wrong.

Now a days, I think most would recommend a sump/fuge (remote area for filtration). Although all that is really needed is an area for bacteria to colonize (Live rock) and circulation. A protein skimmer can certainly help with export of wastes.

You won't find many tanks on here that are using a variation of this method.

Really to answer the question of current methods would take a text book worth, so I've tried to give an example, there really is lots out there.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
3reef Sponsor

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylee_17 View Post
I think part of the problem with the plenum system was that it didn't provide for a place anaerobic bacteria as there was constant movement through the substrate.
The way I had my under gravel filter did not have constant movement through the substrate. It was seeded initially by pumping water through it then capped and sealed. The area beneath the filter became an anaerobic zone. Worked great.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Fire Goby

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonsGarden View Post
The way I had my under gravel filter did not have constant movement through the substrate. It was seeded initially by pumping water through it then capped and sealed. The area beneath the filter became an anaerobic zone. Worked great.
I agree! Just I don't think this is how it is designed to work.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Pajama Cardinal

3reefer 

gallery

Interesting really! So what would be the difference between the newer deep sand bed system and this system with deep layers of sand bed over the Plenum?

Click Here!