crushed coral

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Jas_, Oct 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jas_

Jas_ Plankton

:confused: I was wondering what type of specimen I can use to help aerate/ clean my substrate? I have 30 lbs. of crushed coral as my bed. I was thinking about getting a blenny... Any suggestions..

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I have crushed coral and live sand mixed and I have snails, hermit crabs(big and little), one cucumber worm(I think it's still in there) an engineer goby and they keep it nicely sifted.

4. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Crushed coral is heavy and bulky. I can't think of anything suitable that would go through it except maybe a horseshoe crab but they're not really good for our tanks.

I can't see a blenny really moving too much crushed coral around. perhaps a large pistol shrimp? Even then it's going to stay in one general area.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Agree with JustPhish, i have a blenny and he only lays very delicatly on the substrate. :) though he may not help with sand i'd get a blenny anyway! they have AWESOME personalities.

+2 with the shrimp, and try to get a shrimp goby to go with that.

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have just a small amt of crushed coral in my tank. I have nassaruis snails in my 12 gal nano cube dx. 3 altogether...And a sea cucumber.

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I have crushed coral and I have never had a problem if anything I like it because I get no sand storms. I have nassarius snails, hermits and I have baby stars in there and I vacuum it with a syphon when i do water changes.

8. Click Here!

9. Jas_

Jas_ Plankton

should i get more snails? and what kind?

10. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Cuttingras, have you had any problems with your rock tumbling triggered by the digging of your engineer "goby?"
    Thanks

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Siphon the crush coral.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

My engineer aka evil engineer, destroyed my rockwork. It is now in a friends 180g who wanted something that would keep the sand stirred up, and I warned him about the engineer goby, but he wanted it anyways, haha. Mine was 13"s when I gave it to my buddy.