crushed coral?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by IceDragon, Apr 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

okay so i have been doing some reading

some say that anerobic spots in the sand bed are good and other seem to disagree ... i got bored at work today and started reading the nature's ocean crushed coral bag. it claims to be a great natural PH buffer and prevent anerobic spots while providing maximum bacterial surface area. is it good to mix this in the sand? do i want anerobic spots, and if so what are they good for?

also off topic i went to Home-Depot and of course as posted be for South-Down was not there ... there where also no sand packages with a boy or that said tropical or natural sand ... does any one know what the brand name of the sand is that Home-Depot or any major chain hardware-store caries that is aquarium safe?

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

its up to you which one you want to use sand or cc. ive used both and IMO i would go with the sand i didnt like the cc that much and actually transferred from cc to sand. a lot of detrius collects in the cc where it doesnt seem as bad as in the sand. also with the fish (diggers) worms, snails, crabs they seem to take care of a sb a lot better.

the anerobic areas are toxic but they are the area that actually turn your nitrates into nitrogen, releases it and it floats to the top as bubbles and get released into the air. thats why its considered a denitrater.

it was called south down but i heard they got taken over by another company so im not sure what the name is. ill try to find out for you, we had gotten a 50lb bag at home depot it just might be under another name

4. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

thanks for the input karla

let me bounce this idea off of you all ... what do you think about a sand bed that is about 10-20% cc and the rest a mix of 2mm arginate and suger-fine arginate topped with a bad of the wet natures ocean LS to seed it?

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The crushed coral will always come to the top of the sand.... Take the crushed coral out and use the argonite.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i has some cc mixed with the sand and eventually took the cc out it ended up being a pain so i seperated it