Best Sand substrate for Crystal CLEAR water in a FOWLR tank??

Discussion in 'Sand' started by CMC53, Feb 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

I'm setting up my tank and I have been going back and forth on different substrates..

First I bought a very fine cheap quality sand but read the reviews and people said it was too fine and kicked up causing the water to appear cloudy.

Therefore I went with a more course sand Gotham Aquatics | ESV Ultra White Calcium Carbonate Reef Substrate (Fine Grade) 50 lbs | isgon26 ipower and people say it still may cause cloudy water..

I hear crushed coral wont kick up but then I hear it will spike nitrates.

So if I want crystal clear wter which substrate should I choose?? ​

2. Click Here!

3. jdrak

jdrak Astrea Snail

he one you like and TIME

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I like aragonite, nothing sugar fine.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

What types of fish do you plan to keep? That will determine your options. I.E.- if you wish to keep gobies or other burrowing/sifting fish, then it will need to be relatively fine; if you're planning to house larger free-swimming angels, triggers, etc, then you can use most anything.

BTW- crushed coral can be vacuumed periodically with an aquarium gravel-vac to keep it clean...

6. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the replies..

I was mostly thinking about housing Triggers, Angels, Tangs, etc.. But I heard it is good to get some bottom dwellers for Algae control, so I dont know...

Anyone else have any suggestiongs? All input is welcomed..

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I like Carribsea Fiji Pink. It's fine enough for jawfish, gobies, pistols but large enough to not blow around (once the bacterial biofilm grows on it).