Salt Mixing

Discussion in 'Salt' started by sandmaster23, Nov 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sandmaster23

sandmaster23 Plankton

HELP: Salt Mixing

New to salt water and need some help. I have a 125 tank and my current salt level is 1.019. How much salt should I add to bring it up to 1.020.
    I am currently using oceanic salt. :-/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats very low salt level. Is it a fish only tank or is it a reef ? If its a fish only, you should have it at 1.020-1.022 and if its a reef, it should be 1.023-1.026. Just add more salt mix in a bucket of fresh water(r/o) To reach 1.024 I would make sure the bucket I was pouring in was at least 1.030-1.035. That should bring you up.

4. sandmaster23

sandmaster23 Plankton

Currently nothing in the tank. It is in the cycling stage. I was just currious on the amount of salt to add. (1/2 cup or something of that nature). How much salt water at the level you were saying should I add.

5. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

if you have nothing in the tank you can actually mix it inside the tank....if you have sand, then do it in a buckt....normaly, it takes about 1/2 cup per gallon of water...do it partially, if you find yourself going above the safe level, you can add fresh RO water.

6. sandmaster23

sandmaster23 Plankton

so If I add 1/2 cup it should bring by levels up about .01 higher than what it currently is for every 1/2 cup I add?

7. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I can't really answer that, 'cause I don't know how much salt you added to begin with. I suggest you do it slowly. The 1/2 cup per gallon of water is when you actually follow that equation. Not knowing how much salt you used to begin with makes it hard to suggest an actual amount, BUT a safe amount would be 1/4 cup of salt, mix and test. Do it little by little. Don't worry, just take it slowly and you'll achieve your goal. Remember, you can actually add the salt to directly to the tank if you have no livestock. Once you your tank has cycled, you HAVE to mix the salt and RO water in buckets at least a day before you do a water change, you want the oxygen and carbon levels to be right.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Raise little by little as stated before.

Recommend changing salt mix. I experienced numerous problems with oceanic.

Make sure you test SG at proper tank temperature.

A salinity refractometer is a MUST for the marine aquarium!

Good Luck!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Pour about 10cups into the tank that should get you where you want to be
    1.025or so

11. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Same here. I've run into problems with oceanic myself. Get yourself a refractometer. If you cant get one right now. Go to your LFS and ask if they can calibrate your hydrometer against a refractometer.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

PS:

Plain old IO (Instant Ocean) has worked great for me for long time now. So far have seen no need to spend more $ on anything else.

It is pretty failsafe.