Very confused

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by pez blanco, Jul 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

Hi,

I'm very confused about this refugium thing and how it can be part of your sump. Yes, for the first time in 15 years I finally have a sump when I bought second hand my 90 gal corner bowfront with drilled overflow etc. I have always used the Berlin system and have relied one way or another on LV, mechanical etc. My friend who helped me set up the sump etc suggested that I throw in some LR and microalgae to create a refugium. I have seen them as hang-on's before but as I started reading about the various configurationes etc I am now completely confused. Anyways, I have placed an old flourescent canopy on top of the sump/fuge and have a peppermint shrimp living down there as well as a few pieces of LR and the macro alogae (green grape, etc). Is that sufficient for a refugium novice such as myself. What about this kitty litter or sand vs. mud debate? I prefer to keep things simple. :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

There is a Refugium 101 thread around here somewhere that one of our 3reefers wrote up. I've seen it a million times, but can't find it now. I'll post the link when I find it.

4. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

5. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I would pull out the shrimp, But otherwise you have the right idea. Just think of the Fuge as an mini macro algae tank. Some like to have the fuge separate from the sump (which is basically just pumps and water, nothing living). I like it in the sump...space saver. I am a strong believer in the fuge/sump, the only way to go for a natural system (no chemical filtering)

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

Why would you pull out the shrimp. He got sucked down the overflow and into the fuge/sump.