in tank fuge or under AND HOW

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by sparkienyc, Feb 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sparkienyc

sparkienyc Plankton

I have a 65 gallon running a berlin sump, with a sea urchin pro skimmer in the sump as well. Before the return pump i am runnung a bag of ceramic rings to keep ammonia and nitrites in check.
    Bought an in tank fuge with small circulator pump, some calurpa o/l and a bag of pods (what i thought was pods and later found to be 6 oz of dead pods an ammonia)... took care of that ... all is stable now....

i now have a small live rock, some fresh calurpa from a friend's tank and want to use my in tank fuge as my current h5 lights are strong .....
    1. can i use my in tank fuge ?
    2. how much mineral mud should i use in it?
    3. need i add any live sand from the tank or just the mud/

i was told turn off all filters, put some mud down in the fuge, add the rock, wrap the calurpa into the base of the rock to anchor it , and remove the fuge circulation pump.... and give it time......

will this work/ i really want to avoid another problem... any all advice is welcome........

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Aquatics

Reef Aquatics Plankton

If you are going to use an in tank fuge...you would be much better off using Chaeto. Most
    Caulerpa require a 24 hr light cycle....where as Chaeto requires only a 8-10 hour light
    cycle. In tank fuges work good on small tanks. I had a DIY one in my 12 gal nano cube.
    It had a little bit of live sand,live rock and some Chaeto. It worked great.

But with a tank of your size you would be much better adding on a fuge to your sump.
    I have a 33 gal Oceanic cube tank...Mine drains down into a 12 gallon sump where the
    water runs through a protein skimmer and phosban reactor...then the water moves into
    my 20 gallon long fuge. The fuge has Live rock,Live sand, various forms of Caulerpa algae,
    feather dusters,flame scallops,turbo snails,green brittle star,1 feisty peppermint shrimp,
    and lots of Copepods. The water moves through the fuge and then is pumped back into the
    main display.

The bigger the fuge and the sump...the better..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008