Sump/Fuge/Return DIY Build thread / INSTALLED...DONE !!Page 5

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by lillys Grandad, Mar 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Here we go..
    So I will start with the photos of the existing Sump/fuge/return combo I built about 3 years ago.
    I bought my RO/DI system from this dude on Craigslist..and he gave me his sump..holy cow, 125 gallons...cool..I'll just cut it up and make it the size I want..

[​IMG][/IMG]

Sawzzz-all..and tail gate...and a bunch of silicone !! ...maybe a couple of beerz..

[​IMG][/IMG]

Fast forward...
    Water test... 3 chambers...ALL good. :) ..just ask the dog. :p
    [​IMG][/IMG]

OK...Now FAST forward to present day...upgraded to a 90 from a 55 DT...done a couple of mods..this and that..time just zooms on by..and the sump is starting to come unglued..literally...not leaking mind you, but the dividers and such are not performing as required...Here are some photos of what I am changing out.

It has functioned well for me...just time to clean it up.
    [​IMG]
    [/IMG]

The return ended up going this way then that ..too much around and about..

[​IMG][/IMG]

Changing the plumbing first

[​IMG][/IMG]

This was where when I had everything perfect...I drilled a hole for my float..caught the drill bit and cracked it all to hellz bellz..:cry:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

This you can see is where the return does a dance all over the place...

[​IMG][/IMG]

again..this is now changed...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So I cut all that crap outa there...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

..and plumbed it according to the new plan..
    [​IMG][/IMG]

And now the plan as I see it...nothing really changed.. just the size is about 20 more gallons...and it will be very sanitary...I am going to Tap Plastics tomorrow and have all the pieces cut...1/4 inch....The wife is gone for a week seeing the new grand baby...Sooooo..what else could I do..I mean ..really ??
    !!;D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The next round of photos will be the material...all will have to have the edges sanded...so that will be time consuming...stay tuned ! : ) 8)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

Got me a cool light at the reef meeting raffle a few months ago..the couple that donated it said if your handy with electrical, it should work : / So I finally broke it out for this upgrade, took it apart and sure enough, red wire came out of wire-nut..re-twisted all connections, greased them, replaced all wire-nuts, taped and zip tied...cleaned it up..volt tested good...20.00 10k bulb (ouch) but now I have a real nice sump light...Catalina fixture, very well made.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Started cleaning up the interior of the sump area..doing that slow, but got the new light in, on adjustable coated chains, and did some painting...plumbing is completed..the old sump tank is looking worse and worse.. LOL :p
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Got my materials yesterday...The outside box will be 1/4 inch and the partitions will be 3/16...SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED LOL ;D;D;D

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

build thread, score!

1 person likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice. I built a sump like that before. It actually worked. Good luck.

Hey - what kind of glue are you using? I can't remember what I used but it was the kind that melted the plastic together a bit. Weld On maybe?

1 person likes this.
  6. lillys Grandad

Well..it sure is nice to have a perfectly,flat, level, and an absolute 90 degree back splash to work off of...truthfully, I had some anxiety about just getting the box square...but got up this morning and while cleaning the kitchen I just happened to say..score !! "this WILL work" ..so far so good...got the first full contact layer in the main box...now its just gonna chill...Matt, in regards to the weld stuff..I opted out..personal choice I guess, I hope I don't regret it..but my plan will include an inside seam next...then I have some 1/2 X 1/2 clear 90 degree that I will silicone to the out side seams...mitered and such...I believe it will be great.. then the partitions : )
    I'm done for now...just let things cure good....oh and the pans are full of water just to keep the base in place. : )

No front on it, in this one...;D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

all components secured..8)
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Level all around.. and all the 90 degree angles are on the bubble as well.;D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

thats a pretty awesome looking build.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

First and foremost, congrats on the new grand baby! :clapping:

Looks like you've got a great start on the build. Enjoy the rest of your week.

1 person likes this.
  10. lillys Grandad

Thank you..My wife and daughter are there enjoying the little guy..I'm home watching the house and Dogs, I wish I were there also...But I'm try'n to stay busy...hehehehe...if she only knew about this...:eek: ;D;D;D ...its therapy...and its for the grand kids, after all.8)

11. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Yeah, just stick with this. ;D Grandmas always have a soft spot when it comes to spoiling the grand kids.

12. lillys Grandad

Got the tank off the counter-top and on to the table...In case anyone was wondering, I used a thin coat of olive oil on my counter-top to keep the silicone from sticking to it..worked like a charm... So now I have just masked the inside with tape so that I can run my seams..old school. : / : )

moving right along.....8)
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]