Still confused

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by klownh8er, Nov 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

I am still some what confused for the refugium. I understand that is a seperate area for macro algae or some sort of algae to help reduce nitrates. I'm planning on getting a hang on refugium and some things that I have seen you guys and gals put in live rock and a lot of LS. I have no idea what to put in the hang on refugium and I remember a while back that a member was giving/selling chaetomorphia? ACK Help me know what to do with the refugium! Or should I just DIY??? I need help if I do DIY :-[ omg still lost even after all those books and sites i've researched. Hope this doesn't irritate anyone :-[

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Just a question, why do you want a 'hang on' fuge with the size tank you have? Do you not have room under the tank for a fuge/sump? You can DIY a regular tank into one pretty easily and cheaply. That way, you can make the fuge bigger and put all the 'uglies' down in the sump as well (heater, probes, skimmers, etc)

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

There are a couple other reasons for a fuge. That would be to culture live foods or as a refuge for fish. If you plan on using it to culture live foods like pods and peppermint shrimp you should use a hang on. If you don't plan on live foods a sump is much easier.

6. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

I do want to harvest live foods like pods and I thought if the fuge was under the tank that the pods would get shredded if they ever found a way to get up.  So I plan on doing a DIY fuge since it is most likely cheaper but don't know if the pods will survive their trip to the main tank???  Thanks for your DIY pictures birdlady ;D

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Most should be fine. There isn't really away around the pump thing, even with hang on the back as these use pumps too:
    http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/aquafuge.jpg

Well.. hold on... you could use an air lift to return water to the tank. Those basically work like undergravel filter tubes with the airstone in them. Know what I mean?

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

The CPR fuge you pictured uses a powerhead BUT it pumps water into the fuge and not out of. This means the pods, shrimp, etc. will flow out unharmed. Think of it like a power filter the pump actually draws the water in and as the level increases the water overflows out back to the tank.

You can still culture live foods in a sump but don't expect any to make it out alive unless you net them out.

Okay lets stop this talk I'm having flashbacks of Nemo almost getting decapitated.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Refugium;num=1100050672;start=0#6 date=11/10/04 at 16:12:53]The CPR fuge you pictured uses a powerhead BUT it pumps water into the fuge and not out of.  This means the pods, shrimp, etc. will flow out unharmed.  Think of it like a power filter the pump actually draws the water in and as the level increases the water overflows out back to the tank.[/quote]

Wow. Didn't realize that. That's pretty cool. Thanks.

Although I think the pump/pod fears are a bit overblown. Many seem to have them inspite of pumps.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I was just planning on netting my pods out when I need them....I have a sponge filter on my last baffle to prevent bubbles mostly but it will keep the pods away from the pump as well ;D

12. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

Maybe I'll set up 2 fuges???? One for mostly live food and the other for the nitrates and stuff? One hang on and on under the tank... maybe I dunno.. maybe a small HOB fuge and a larger fuge under the tank? Oh, can't forget about the sump now either... i'll have to divide it I guess. Least im not nearly as confused as before ;D