Refugium contents

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by NittyGritty, Feb 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I want to set up my first refugium tonight. I have seen a few diff bases of these from LR rumble to DSB or miracle mud (no idea what this is yet) so a break down of the difference would help a lot, also what type of light and reason for having it come on at night when tank lights go out. Thanks a ton!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Mud is a different ball game and could be great with chaeto. I've seen cool tanks with it. It is a bit of cash though. But quick and dirty - some sand and chaeto. I did not go out of my way to add LR rock on my old one but I found my self adding some when I needed more room in the display tank.

I am pushing chaeto because I used caulerpa in my fuge and did not have a problem until I broke it down to child proof. Somehow I got some in my display tank and now I am dealing with that. :p

My 2 cents.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Caulerpa can also go sexual while Chaeto can't and when you trim Caulerpa it releases toxin and Chaeto doesn't. (the chances of caulerpa going sexual aren't that great and the toxin released by Caulerpa is often unnoticed though)

"refugium" can mean a lot of different things to different people. You need to decide what your primary goal is. Most people have a primary goal of nutrient reduction with secondary goal of pod production and usually no goal or only a very far third goal of using it as a place of refuge for tank animals.

If your primary goal is nutrient reduction, then my suggestion is low flow, DSB (4-6 inches) and Chaetomorpha. Live rock isn't really neccessary. This will also have the side benefit of being a perfect place for pods to grow as they breed in the Chaeto ball. Every so often, cut the ball in half and throw half away. As it grows it will consume nitrate and phosphate cleaning the water! A dsb will also act as a natural nitrate reducer and give more room for creatures to live and breed.

1 person likes this.
  5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Should the stand be a bag of live sand? Also what about the light spec and times?

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

If you go caulerpa - 5100k spiral compact flourescent with reflector on 24 hours a day (helps keep it from going sexual)

If you go Chaeto - 5100k Spiral compact flourescent with reflector on 18 hours on 6 off opposite the main tank light to help balance PH swings. The algae needs some time to rest and you will get better growth from Chaeto on this schedule.

Rock rubble in the sump is debateable. I don't think it offers anything of value.
    Extra live rock is also debateable. You probably have plenty in the display anyhow.

The DSB is nice to have and I would suggest it. It will help with the overall functionality of the fuge and can be serviced much more easily than one in the main display.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The DSB should be made with sugar fine sand or at least the smallest particles you can find. Doesn't have to be "live" sand, the bacteria in your system will populate it quickly no matter what, so you can save your money. Make sure it's at least 4" and no more than 6" deep. That's the sweet spot for the kinds of creatures we can find to populate the sand bed. You would be fortunate to find someone with a DSB that would be willing to give you a cup of there sand. Otherwise it should populate naturally over time.

Source: http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

8. Click Here!

9. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Would the LFS carry the sugar fine sand, I have only ever bought the live sand bags. Thanks again for your help.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, I have bought a lot of bagged live sand too. As long as it isn't too expensive don't worry about it and buy it. Some LFS charge a lot for "live" sand though.

I used Carib Sea Aragamax Sugar Sized sand because I knew it was safe for my reef and my lfs carried it for about as much as bulk sand anyhow. Look for "sugar sized" or "oolitic". They will carry something that will work. It's really not something to stress over, just get the smallest particle sand you can find, preferably argonite because it has less sharp edges and better water flow through characteristics.

I know way to much about sand lol...

11. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Lol, pretty awesome though. I will hit up the lfs after I'm out of this jury duty. Bulb at home depot with clamp?

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yup, you will probably only find the 4500 and 6500k bulbs. Either work about as well. I had to order 5100k on the web. I found some experiment a while back that convinced me it was better. No big deal though.