New DIY Refugium Design

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by rbickle, May 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rbickle

rbickle Plankton

Hello,

I have just finished building a refugium for my 90 Gallon tank. Took some time and created a diagram of it, so I thought I would share it.

(Click on the diagram and stretch it out to read the text.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike most of the refugium designs I have seen, I put the sump in the center and the refugium at the end. This, coupled with the plumbing and valves, allows me to make adjustmens to the total water flow, as well as the ratio of water that flows into the skimmer section vs. the refugium section. You don't want too much water flow through the refugium, nor do you want to pass water through the skimmer section before the refugium, as it will remove proteins that are useful for the refugium life. This configuration takes both into consideration.

The refugium has miracle mud at the bottom, some cheato and some culerpa which the LFS gave me for free. The refugium light is a CF model made for a 10 gallon tank. Please forgive the untidy wiring at the left - I have not finalized placement of all electrical devices yet.

At the left of the under tank picture is the 35 watt UV sterilizer. I have found that while the sterilizer seems to be very effective at clearing the water, it tends to heat the water about 8 degrees F while running. I therefore have the sterilizer set up to run at night, when the DT lighting has turned off. This way I don't have 2 sources of heat operating simultaneously.

Rick

Axel likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Nice job man! I have mine set up the same way with the return in the middle. I just have a chamber before the skimmer that I have LR rubble in and the auto top off unit in the center. Been working great for me as so it should for you.
    I don't have a sterilizer...yet, but thanks for the info about it heating up the DT. Here is mine, I used a label maker to label the wiring onthe wire and where it goes. Makes life sooooooo much easier:

[​IMG]

4. rbickle

rbickle Plankton

I thought about adding another section for rubble. I ended up putting the skimmer outside the sump and having a small area for bioballs. The tank already has 100 lbs of live rock, so I figured that was probably ok. I will be organizing and labelling the wiring shortly. I used a swtich box I got from Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories PARTS EXPRESS, Speakers, Speaker Parts, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, Woofers, Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Emine. It was originally designed for 19" rackmount audio cabinets, but works great for aquariums too. I can switch on or off different devices individually, like the skimmer to empty the cup.

Nice setup BTW. I think if I did it again I might use a slightly larger tank than 20 gallons for the fuge as you did.

If I ever build another cabinet, I will make the doors larger to allow easier access for equipment. I would also make the ends of the cabinet removeable. Live and learn I guess.

Rick