Mangroves and mud filter

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by reefboy23, Sep 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Does anyone have experience with mangroves in a mud filter??? Do these have advantages over macro algaes????;D

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

For the most part mangroves offer the same advantages, except for in nature where mangrove roots offer a safe haven for a myriad of small fish etc. from the neighboring outlaying area where predators lurk.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

They like a lot of light and make sure you keep the leaves above water but not right against the light bulb. They also like a faster flow then say caulerpa.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Mangroves are O.K I worked with them a bit along time ago still have several of them in a system at work .. Mangroves require totally different set up over a simple algae refugium.. Their requirements for light just about demand a M/H for proper photosynthesis and they also require a lot of water flow .. I found when they are set up I a trough type tub and all the water from the tank is blasted by their root base they do a better job.. We have plants if you need them and can't locate them . I just air layered several last week .. But personally for a home aquarium the simple old slow flow algae refugium is a far better way to go..For the Mud is you decide that route Just use some cat litter. The cheap stuff..Old Georgia gray clay.. Magic Mud LOL

6. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

as far as lighting i only use 2 16watt PC daylight bulbs from wal-mart and they have been growing great.

7. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

U think its possible to run a mangrove filter and a macro filter in sep. containers maybe have lights on the mangroves in the day and shut them off at night and have the lights on the macros at night...i just like the look of a mangrove but i also like macros

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just make sure you keep you cheato or caulerpa on a reverse lighting cycle from the tank. I don't think it would matter when the lights are on for the mangroves.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd ask why ? why have the lawn competing with the shrubs for a limited supply of fertilizer ? Thats what you will accomplish. Like Chaining two exactly equal trucks up and let them pull each other all you will do is break one of them.

11. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Yeah...thats what i was thinking....both will end up competing for nutrients and the macros will probably win....i dont know i just like the natural effect of the mangroves....but all in all theyre not necessary really...just an experiment i thought of.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Also Mangroves do not actually export a whole lot of nutrients. they do how ever remove salt from the water and the extrude it from their leaves.