Ideas for back filter on biocube

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Steven896s, Feb 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steven896s

Steven896s Bristle Worm

Right now i just have some chemi pure and purigen floating in there and a filter pad type of thing that is supposed to lower nitrates i was trying not to spend alot of money i know in tank has something but its pretty pricy any other suggestions

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I would make the middle chamber a fuge.

4. arrivalanche

arrivalanche Bristle Worm

I was thinking about doing this to mine but I dont know what forms of filtration I need to keep. I took out the sponge out of the first chamber and added a skimmer in its place. 2nd is the tubes and chemi-pure and the 3rd is carbon and balls. If I do a fuge what can I pitch and what do I keep?

5. SwimsWithFish

I would get rid of the bioballs and replace it with live rock.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What size biocube?lots of peps turn the middle chember into a mini fuge using LR rubble/cheato and a submersible 3-5w LED.

7. Steven896s

Steven896s Bristle Worm

Yea its a 29g biocube i took out bioballs and does anyone know if there is a easy way to make a media rack i heard live rock create nitrates when they are in the back

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

[​IMG]As long as it's not rubble you'll be fine. I made a media basket out of egg crate.

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Very true. All forms of bio media, including live rock well trap food and waste which will create nitrate.

If you're adding a refugium, you could really take out all your media if you want. I would, however, keep the carbon. Be sure when removing any filtration from a tank to removed one piece at a time so you can tank any negative affects back to the source.

11. Steven896s

Steven896s Bristle Worm

Ok cool thanks alot what are the dimensions of that and does anyone know any aquarium safe silicon that home depot sells