Fuge Stocking! Help!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by familiar1985, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. familiar1985

familiar1985 Bristle Worm

Im running a 100gal Mixed reef (mostly SPS) with a 30gal fuge. I currently have 50lbs of sand, 10lbs of rubble, and 2 volleyballs of chaeto in the fuge. There are tons of Pods, mini Brittlestars, tiny snails, tiny bristleworms, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 1 fire shrimp. The purpose of this fuge is to hopefully provide a large pod population for my mandarin and leopard wrasse. Also to use up nutrients of course.

I would like to somehow get rid of the cyano growing in the fuge. I was thinking of adding some conch's and turbos to help with the cyano. Also increasing the flow a little to see if that helps with the cyano.

Should i add some nassarius to the fuge?

Any other good ideas of live stock for fuge?

I was thinking of also adding more shrimp or something else that will reproduce and create more food. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I also have the same problem adding flow doesn't work.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

A fuge is not there to look pretty. It is just like a swamp and will smell like one after a while. I just let mine go and if I get some skum on the top of the water then I just use a net to get it out.

6. familiar1985

prettyness is a matter of perspective. Not a negative thing. I like the pistons in my engine looking pretty! Nothing wrong with pretty. However im not looking for advice on making my fuge pretty. Just trying to add more beneficial life!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Scott said it all.....but if you want more beneficial life, add the turbo's and snails.

I run a 40 gallon fuge with a reverse photo period from my tank. I have 8 turbo's, 1 peperment shrimp, and all sorts of bugs and little stars. I let Cyano grow in the fuge - it stays there and it not in my display. It's in my bsaement, but still if it gets smelly I will skim the surface - that's it. I go out of my way to not disturb the swamp. g'luck

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Well said!

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Well said +2

1 person likes this.
  11. familiar1985

thanks for the advice guys. Ill add some snails. Maybe a couple more peppermint shrimp so they breed.

12. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Astrea Snails 4twz