ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Skunk Shrimp

Skin: Mint
Ddubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default Fuge flow

Ok so I have an external fuge I setup consisting of 30 gal breeder,and I had a spare boostled mu135 led fixture im using as the light,should grow my macros fast. My question is this the MT is 120 gals,30 gal sump,30 gal fuge, is 200 gph enough flow into the fuge to properly do it's job?

Last edited by Ddubya; 01-30-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: removed powerhead
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Blue Ringed Angel

Crimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeCrimson Ghost has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Many schools of thought on the subject. I prefer to go real slow – I grow a variety of macro’s, many of which do not want to be blasted by flow. So I perk 10% of my total volume through the refugium per hour, no more.

Many people like to grow cheato – this thrives with a higher rate of flow. But again, just my opinion – slower works the best. With a slow flow the refugium is truly a refuge, a safe haven for pods. This will keep your tank well feed. What Macro’s did you have in mind?

As for your 200 GPH, I’d say this is middle of the road and should work fine. Best advice would be to tell you to tinker with it. But you need to wait a month or two before you increase or decrease the flow – you will see grow change and perhaps your water parameters improve (if you are installing this for a specific issue).
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Zoanthid

bwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

I run my fuge with very low flow also , like CrimsonGhost said 200gph should be fine just keep an eye on it and adjust it as necessary.
bwalker9801 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Skunk Shrimp

Ddubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond reputeDdubya has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

doing it for chaeto,dragons breath,extra surplus of pods,and just some more volume,thats why I went with a 30 breeder. And the nutrient export couldnt hurt.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Giant Squid

Mr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bill has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

To add to the first two replies, if your flow is too high, too much water will be returned to the DT without being filtered/processed, which defeats the purpose of having the sump/fuge.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

so 200gph is probably abit much? Would 100 be more reasonable? or less
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Giant Squid

ReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond reputeReefBruh has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

100 should be safe. Thats what I am running in my current setup which is 225 gallons.
ReefBruh is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

Ok i'll try that I just got it running yesterday, it was in my 30 gal sump, but wanted to go bigger ( my anthias love to be fed) for more nutrient export.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Plankton

Frank A. is on a distinguished road

gallery

I have a question,if all the water in the DT and in the sump and fuge have the same amount of nutrients and this macro and cheato have this water surrounding it,how is the water not processed? It's not like the algae has to absorb all the nutrients before they are pumped back up to the main tank or that the water in the sump and etc. is never renewed.The algae absorbs a little at a time all day long. Please let me know where I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Frank A.
Frank A. is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!