Freshwater Fuge ?????

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by oakvad, Sep 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So heres the ? is a freshwater fuge doable or a waste of time? Im thinking it would work with plants for oxygenation and filtration and im dying to try it, Just want to build something.
    Any input on the situation would be great, what kind of substrate, plants snails, Anything

2. Click Here!

3. stud_man50

stud_man50 Flamingo Tongue

i see what your looking at, but i think your best bet for freshwater would be wet/dry with bioballs, and then upgrade your plant lights and grow your nice plants in the tank, actually if you would put the plants down below not only would you have to buy second lights, but if you have enough plants also you CO2 injection with a lot of other work, and you would never see the plants... as for the sustrate i bought some from drsfostersmith.com which was pretty good for aquarium plants

1 person likes this.
  4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

My buddy has a sump for a 20 gallon freshwater tank and the water is amazing, he has a filter sock bunch of carbon in the sump his heater def doesnt need it but it dont hurt

1 person likes this.
  5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Mangrove trees grow in fresh or saltwater. They suck up nitrates and phosfates like you would not beleive. Im currently growing to in a HOB filter on my freshwater tank. The display light puts out enough light that they get plenty. I havent had it set up long enough to tell for sure if its help though.

2 people like this.
  6. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thats what im looking for mikejrice. i curently have oscars in my 90 gal i want to do it in with some plants in there and of course thats not working out thats why im asking about fuge. I have a full spec 48" t-5 on it now and was gonna rig up some plant lights under with the fuge.

Where at in co. are you mike?