ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Fire Worm

Skin: Mint
Alohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default DIY Refugium/Sump Build

I'm thinking about building a custom sump/refugium for my 90 gallon this weekend and this is what I came up with so far. Please let me know if you guys have any tips on what I can do to make this a better design or if you see anything wrong as far as setting up the baffles.

The materials I'm using:

30 Gallon glass tank 36x12x17
1/4" acrylic sheet 36x30
Aquarium silicone

1st chamber 9" tall (for skimmer)
Bubble trap section will be spaced 1" apart and 1" from the bottom

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/robbiealaba/sumprefugium.jpg

Last edited by Alohastate335i; 03-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Alohastate335i is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Zoanthid

bwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond reputebwalker9801 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

That will work , I prefer putting the return in the middle and splitting your overflow(s) between the skimmer area and refugium so that you can control the flow better.
bwalker9801 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Horrid Stonefish

lillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
protector 
3link 
gallery
Thumbs up

That will work..Check out my sump build.. it may give ya some ideas...I think one of the most important elements would be plenty of head space for power down status..using a ready built aquarium was not an option that I could enjoy...I had to build to fit. But check it out.
K+ !
also...as bwalker stated...fuge on one end or the other..then you can control flow..IME and opinion.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/refugium...ad-131595.html
lillys Grandad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Fire Worm

Alohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond reputeAlohastate335i has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Thank you both for your input! I'll revise the design to: Sump/Return/Refugium and split the inflow going to both ends (refuge having less flow of course).

Also, I'll start the build as soon as my Eheim 1262 return pump comes in tomorrow. That way I can put all the equipment in the sump and figure out where and how high the baffles will be.

And btw, very nice build on your sump refugium Lillys Grandad!
Alohastate335i is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Horrid Stonefish

lillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond reputelillys Grandad has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
protector 
3link 
gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohastate335i View Post
Thank you both for your input! I'll revise the design to: Sump/Return/Refugium and split the inflow going to both ends (refuge having less flow of course).

Also, I'll start the build as soon as my Eheim 1262 return pump comes in tomorrow. That way I can put all the equipment in the sump and figure out where and how high the baffles will be.

And btw, very nice build on your sump refugium Lillys Grandad!
Just don't rush...like the old say'n...measure twice...cut once.

thank you.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Spaghetti Worm

hingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond reputehingedthinker has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

here is the one that I designed and built. I went through all of your Q's & A's during my process of deciding how to do this as well... this is what I settled on.

v5 of the design:
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/hingedthinker/125G%20Aqueon%20tank%20design%20and%20build/Aqueon125GDM6ft-SumpPlanv5_rghtview.jpg

Actual:
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/hingedthinker/125G%20Aqueon%20tank%20design%20and%20build/125GAQUEON2-2.jpg

This design is ATO storage, refugium, skimmer, bubble trap, return. I drop water into the refugium and two outlets into the skimmer area. One of those goes directly into the skimmer. The problem with putting the return in the middle is that you *may* need a second bubble trap for your refugium. I get air dropped from the return into the 'fuge and some bubbles make it into the skimmer section. But doing a linear flow design you can get away with just one bubble trap.

Last edited by hingedthinker; 04-19-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add comments
hingedthinker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Horrid Stonefish

3reefer 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Dang !! That looks sweet.. : )

Click Here!