Custom refugium/sump build.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by elweshomayor, Jul 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Hey guys, sorry for the long post.. but please read it completely so i can get some input.. if something doesnt make sense, feel free to ask.:p

I was able to convince my parents to allow me to build a refugium for my 150G tank. I will have to drill 2 holes into the wall that connects to the garage. ( as the refugium will be located on the garage it self)..

Then i just plan to take everything thats right under the tank and just put it in the garage. No major plumbing or anything ( i hope)..

I was browsing craigslist for an used tank i could use. so the question is how big should i go for?
    i know the bigger the better but i just want something big enough to fit a skimmer, do the refugium and the filter pad section thing. if i make any sense?

now, I was a little worried that since the sump was going to be in the garage, where there isnt Air conditioner.. do you guys think it might get too hot? even if i take the heater out during the summer? ( i ask because i cant afford a chiller). temperatures sometimes rise up to 100 degrees outside, at the most extreme.. and around 85 or so in the garage..

For the winter i was planning on getting two heaters running at the same time to prevent the water temperature from dropping as it also gets pretty cold sometimes.

Also, once i get this tank.. should i wash it with something special? in case the previous owner added chemicals that might hurt my reef?

And finally... do i need to make a " fish room" for the tank? or can i just leave it there? i was worried that dust or something might fall into the water?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Outside? I dont think thats gonna be a good idea. First yes is the temp. In GA its gonna way heat that water up and really cool it off in the winter. Next up is going to the algae growth you will experience with the direct sunlight in the water. Follow that up with factor in the murphy effect of you dont know who or what will get into or damage it. Just leaves or dirt blowing into the cracks can damage water quality and crash a tank. Sounds like an ambitious plan but not one I would try or recommend.

1 person likes this.
  4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

not outside... inside the garage. if im in the garage i kinda dont count it as being
    " inside" the house... do i make sense? lol probably shouldn't have written it that way.

ps. fixed the original post.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I still agree, though, that since the garage does not have AC or heat you will experience temperature swings. You will also still risk contamination from dust, carbon dioxide/monoxide, gas fumes, etc etc, assuming the garage is also being used as a garage.

1 person likes this.
  6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

garage is being used as storage.. we dont put our cars in the garage.

we have a refrigerator.. and a few shelves all around, and our laundry machines..... im not 100% sure if the garage is completely without AC.. i just assumed it was.

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Why not get a 55 gallon tall and stick under the display tank?

1 person likes this.
  10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

there is no way i can fit a 55G under there.. my stand is built in a way its just not possible.

i thought of doing it outside of it so that i can do all i need and have plenty of room to do things. I thought of just building a small fish tank room in the garage, but it would cost too much.

there is no other way to do it.. unless i leave it the way it is.. without a skimmer and other types of equipment.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Do it outside. Thats how mine is. Sits right on the floor.

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i was talking to a friend and he said that building a fish room shouldnt be that expensive.. he said it should be around 300 bucks...

it will be 6 feet long by 4 feet wide. ( im doing it next to the house's wall so i only need 1 wall and a door..)

the only thing is that im not too sure on how the AC will work.. idk if ill be able to incorporate it. IF i dont, ( even if it is insulated) do you guys think it might get too hot??

i will remove the water heater during the summer. and possibly add 2 during the winter if i need to.