CPR hob fuge flow question!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by cosmo, Nov 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Wondering if I should add a little pump in my medium hob CPR fuge, or if the pump alone is enough?

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

you mean inside it to assist in out going flow? No. Dont do that, you cant ensure that it will have the same flow rate as the pump going in and can empty or lower the water level inside and possible burn up the pump when it goes dry.

I have one of the CPR fuge's w/skimmer & light combo. I upgraded and used a maxijet 1200. It skims like a champ now and gives my ulva & chaeto alot more flow.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

no sorry, just like a little power jet inside to help increase circulation! On a side note, what about putting the heater in it to hide it? Is it too small for that?

5. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have a custom made HOB fuge. I have the water circulating very slowly through it. It's been doing great like that. I figure if I get cyno there it'll just use up nutrients in the system (It got cyno bad at first, but now my macroalgae is out competing it). I have my heater in mine, though it's bigger than the medium cpr one. If it can be submerged, I'd say go for it.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I have the same aquafuge as you. I upgraded the stock intake pump to that of an mj 900, there's your extra flow :) Just needed an adapter. I have my heater inside the fuge also. Got about a 2" aragonite sand bed, chaeto and the fuge 24w lamp. I didn't get the skimmer ready one so I've got the Reef Octopus NS 80 nano skimmer in the fuge also. Most don't recommend putting a skimmer in the fuge as this can lead to the demise of copods/amphipods. But I've not noticed a big depletion is neither :) Hope this helps.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

My heater is inside the fuge as well. They only thing I recommend is to put your thermometer somewhere NOT inside the fuge nor somewhere near its exit so you can get a more realistic feel for the temperature.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Good info guys! gonna put the heater in and upgrade to the mj 900, just happen to have one! Gonna keep my coralife 65 skimmer out though! BTW was reading seano's page and this guy has some great mod's to do to the skimmer to quite it, get rid of the bubbles and make it work better! just read it, going to lowes tomorrow or the next day!
    Tyler Merrick » Blog Archive » Modifing the Coralife Super Skimmer CSS

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Personally I'm saving up for the Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer :)

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That would look alot better! I think I'm gonna try Tyler's mods and see if that's better! Should only cost $5

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

damn you, you just cost me $130! nanoreefer

lol! ya got me to check in on them and I just bought the slim skim! I like the idea of no flooding ability and the clean look! after researching I think it will do great!

so coralife 65 skimmer for sale! I actually think this thing works great, a little finicky at first but settles in great! Skimmate got black quick!