Convert mega flow sump 2 to a refugium?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by marvollo, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

I have a mega flow sump 2 : Model 2 MegaFlow Sump - for 55, 72 Bow and 75 gallon | Wet/Dry Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

i have a 72g bow front tank with 100lbs of lr. the tank has been running for a year now with no problems with algae other then the normal glass cleaning 2x weekly. i beleive my live rock is providing enough biological filtration. i am about to go from 4x 65w pc lighting to a 700+ watt mh light system.

Would it be wise to fade out the bio balls and convert the sump to a refugium? if so what are all the steps to do this?

2. Click Here!

3. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i'd leave the bioballs, you can never have too much biological filtration,not to mention mother nature seems to exact brutal revenge on us when we try to fix things that aren't broken, having said that if you want a fuge i'd add one to the existing setup

4. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

I have converted a few trickle type filters into Sumps/Refugiums. First of all I agree with the above post, if nothing is wrong DON’T CHANGE anything! If you want a fuge and are able, then add it to the existing system. If that is not an option; and you insist on converting to a fuge then do it slowly!! Try removing 10% of the bioballs a week, and watch the water chemistry very carefully. If there is enough water movement around your existing live rock then this should not be too much of an issue.

700+ watts of lighting on a 72g Bow? What are you planning on growing in there?? Just curious ::)

5. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I agree with the above post I converted my old wet dry to a LR sump by removing bio balls slowly over a few months and filling the chamber with LR I have since changed over to a different larger sump with a LR refugium chamber to get more water volume and room for equipment but you probably have more room in your sump than I did in my old sump I think that tidepool 2 is bigger than the aqua clear I had. anyway good luck.