Caulerpa appearso to be going sexual

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Inimicus, Aug 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

I just finished a primitive refugium and when i was moving my caulerpa from the main tank into the refugium i noticed some transparent sections. I heard that is a sign that its going sexual. Will the 24/7 lighting stop the sexual reproduction?

At the moment the pump to the fuge isnt running in case they are happily pumping gametes into the water.

I do have some chaeto but not really enough to make me think it'll be very effectively. When the chaeto fills up a bit i hope/intend to replace the caulerpa in the refugium.

I was wondering if the caulerpa fading out can be halted. I"m going to sit down and methodically sort the strands and set aside those that are and try to use the ones that are still looking normal.

I'm also concerned that what ever triggered it if its chemical might still be in the my water and may trigger the remainder to crap out on me.

Thanks for the help on this.

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It may have gone asexual on you. Alternatively, the transparent portion may have been sheilded from light from the Caulerpa above it. If it's the second situation, lighting 24/7 won't do you any good.

Caulerpa's should be pruned often. Once it hit's critical mass, it goes asexual hoping it's offspring are able to find a better locale elsewhere in the ocean. Unfortunately, it has no way of knowing that it is stuck in a small closed system.

Halimeda's have synchronized asexual reproduction events where every plant in the tank will go at once. Caulerpa's don't do this. You can dose chelated Iron and/or Iodine to your fuge if you are worried about the rest going asexual. (Don't do either of the above without a test kit). However, personally, I would just do what you are doing. Removing the dead Caulerpa. If you have a ton of it still after this, prune some of the live Caulerpa as well. (This is one time where less is more).

PS....if you are growing SPS, you should switch to Chaeto. Caulerpa's release toxins that slow down the growth of SPS.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Excellent post :) I can't think of anything to add. Prune the transparent pieces.
    And if you're bio load is not too high remove the caulerpa and let the chaeto grow. ( like I said not much to add )

Jim

5. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

Nothing fancy in the tank atm, just my sea goblin and what ever is living is living on the live rock.

Thanks for the info on the halimeda.

I'm trying to get the chaeto set up as well as i can but i am not sure what the best environment for chaeto is. I just had to pull a little errant grape caulerpa out of it :).

Jason

6. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I think someone should start a chaeto thread, and post pictures of the different kinds of caulerpa, halimeda, and chaeto and label them, because honestly I can only i.d. the common halimeda and caulerpa. THanks

7. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Yes I agree. A thread on the different types of beneficial algae would be very interesting to read. I'm growing about 4 different types for filtering and to feed my tangs. Lighting in winter is 24x7 and summer is reverse of my tank. This is not mostly to keep the PH from fluctuating.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Here is a great web page put together by Bob Goeman's. the Algae page

While I think that this is a great idea, I don't have any personally taken pictures and there will be copyright issues. I believe Matt is a friend of Bob's. I've met Bob and talked with him at length at IMAC. I've emailed with him back and forth several times over the years as well but he truly doesn't know me from Adam. I'm going to PM Matt to see if he can contact Bob to see if we can use some of his images.

If we can't use the images, we can search 3reef for ID'ing pictures and PM whoever posted the picture asking for permission to use it. This would take longer but we want to do it right.

In the mean time, Google Images can be a good friend. Google Image Search

For instance, here's a bunch of different Caulerpas. caulerpa - Google Image Search
    Here's Halimeda (or money plant) halimeda - Google Image Search

Here's another site I use a lot. Algaebase: listing the world's algae

Algae trivia: What species of marine algae is responsible for much of the sands of some of the worlds beaches? (Karma for the first person who can not only provide the Genus but can also provide the biggest Species that is responsible).

EDIT: Boomer, you're aren't allowed to answer. :)

10. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

Thanks for all those links..wow its odd feeling this new to something again.

This will be the first full night for my 24/7 refugium running. i was wondering when the nitrate test should start to drop? i know that probably depends a lot on the algae growth but i was just wondering. I'm gettin ready to do a water change anyway since nitrates are around 20 ppm and i dont want to stress the sea goblin out.

and i need to zap some damn aiptasia...i like them but man i never thought they'd spread "that" fast.

Jason

11. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Not sure what you mean by ZAP, but it was my understanding that if you 'break apart' aiptasia in any way the peices land and regrow spreading even more.