Is A Carbon Filter Needed When Incorporating Sump/Refuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by nOOb iHACK, Jan 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

I'm going to build a Sump/refuge under my display tank. However, I am not sure if I will need my carbon canister filter running once the sump/refuge is intalled. Would anyone please let me know of you are to run the carbon filter as well as the sump/refugium (with protein skimmer).

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I would incorporate away to add a carbon and or a phosphate bag with in a sump no need to make a special section though I just drill a hang on type display cup drilled in the bottom and hang it on the inside of the sump from the rim then you can run a pipe section of 1/2 pipe and a valve off of a tee from the main return 1inch drain from tank to sump and feed it like that or also feed it from the skimmer outlet ? Easy to change and gravity does the work..

4. mamachipy

mamachipy Astrea Snail

I would would use one for sure. I put it in mine and it keeps the water super clear. As you can see the water goes throught the refuge and up then down through the carbon and de-nitrate before pumped back to desplay.

MIKE

Attached Files:

5. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

I'm running my canister filter for now, but, mamachipy, how do you change you carbon media? Do you just scope the old media out? I don't want a mess in my fuge. How do you keep it in place? I see the baffles have a plliow but the media on the far right seems to be loose:huh2:. Let me know how this is working out for you. Thanks.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I put the carbon it in a bag then set the bag into a display type cup hung on the inside of the sump and all the skimmer water runs through the carbon..

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Carbon???

HI,
    Its a difficult decision, many people find some carbon leachs phos, maybe the phos is being released after the carbon becomes saturated, I once had a braquish tank and found the spec grav was really low for my african cichlids and added a cup of salt this released all the traped organic matter in the carbon canister killing some of the fish, I asked a expert why and he said carbon is a excellent filter material it remove many product and clears the water very well it can also release all it NOX back into the water if any chemical changes occure suddenly like PH, salinity, he reccomends using very small amounts and changing frequently that way if it dumps the bad stuff its not a disaster as when I had my marineland canistrer loaded with a couple pounds of carbon for over a month.
    Here's what I plan to do after thinking about this for a while I would change the carbon before you do a water change that way if its a sponge for soluable nox it won't dump it with the water change it sort of defeats the purpose for changng the water. use small amount of carbon I put a few table spoons in a penguin piggy back filter pad I dump carbon out of the filter bag rinse the pad replace,and then do a weekly water change.
    Doug

PS when the water clear with carbon some corals get burned so watch for changes after adding carbon to the loop.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Certain carbons will add phosphates to your water and leach what it adsorbed back into your water column if not changed after a few weeks at the most, especially if you have a large bioload!
    I would though add a carbon regimen to your tank at least periodically if not all the time to remove Gelbstoff and other DOM!
    It will help keep your water clearer and aid in the amount of PAR from your lighting to your tank!

10. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

Coral Reefer, Glad to have ya! I've been in this hobby for not to long but long enough to know most of the lingo. I've noticed you being very knowledgeable in the hobby for I've read many of your post. However, I did not catch your drift in your previous post. What is a Carbon Regimen, Gelbstoff, DOM and PAR? Sorry if it is an easy one and I'm not getting it. Would you please explain more fully what you meant?

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

What he means is you need to change out the carbon every so often cause over time it can leach dissolved organic material(DOM). Gelbstoff is the yellow tinge water takes on when its full of DOM. CR likes to use big words.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Carbon is always a good thing. I would find a way to run the canister filter on the sump.