ATS - Algae Turf Scrubber

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 16, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am consumed with the ATS approach at the moment. Basically an ATS system is based on using turf algae as a nutrient export. Simply putting a good light over a fiber glass screen which is exposed to turbulent water and air will work. Usually this is done with a surge device. Every now and then you remove the excess algae and allow new algae to grow. Systems with good ATS' on them are very stable and allow for heavy feeding. (SO THEY SAID. MANY SAY NOW YOU STILL NEED A SKIMMER AND MUST STILL DO WATER CHANGES) - EDIT

Here is one at Inland Aquatics:
    [dead links]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I actually crossed paths with somebody recently that actually had bought one of the ATS filters from Inland Aquatics when they used to sell them. It is very similar to the ones for sale now at algaeturfscrubber.com. He sent me some pics of his!

He said I could post them here! Sweet. Thanks Doug! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Did you ever set up one of these?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

OMG

How on earth did you find this thread?

Adey and Loveland are not exactly my favorite people in the world so I'm staying out of this one.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

haha.... google search for turf scrubber.
    That old post from Santa Monicas turf scrubber still has me intrigued.

7. ReeferCatFish

ReeferCatFish Plankton

I know this thread was very old but I would also be interested to know if anyone is currently working with these algae filters. Is this any different or more efficient that just having some Chaetomorpha under a light in a fuge? I have heard tanks that rely heavily on algae turf filters tend to have yellow colored water. Anyone know more??

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

According to Santa Monica the reason their water is yellow is they harvest the algae not often enough or don't remove the screen when they harvest the algae.
    I don't really know, but I would like to try it. Not planning one replacing my skimmer just an add on for me.
    Big debate here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/...eplaces-skimmer-refugium-everythin-51120.html

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nope, but I would like to make one for kicks someday.

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I friend of mine has one its not set up anymore but it looks cool, if I had more room I would try to set it up just to check out.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

My return pipe from the overflow goes straight over my sump.. So I'm thinking I can cut it and put in a valve with a T. Then drain down over a screen that's over the sump. Put up a light an I'm in business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.