Want to Upgrade Reef Lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by AV8TR, Apr 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AV8TR

AV8TR Plankton

I have a 110 gal reef tank that has been a fish only tank for the last two years. I want to take it to the next level and try my hand at reef keeping. My current lighting is 6 - 55w PC (4/10k and 2/actinic). My LFS says that 330 watts is insufficient for a successful reef of this size. I was thinking of going to a retrofit of my canopy with 2-175w MH and 2-110w VHO Actinics in a 48 inch set-up. The tank is a 60" but the inside measurement of the canopy is barely 59.5" ruling out the 60" VHOs. My two main concerns are HEAT and also the glass covers currently on the tank. I would prefer not to go "topless" to control evaporation but will do it if necessary. I believe the glass over the tank diffuses much of the light and my recent attempt with a bubble tip anemone was a complete disaster. Any suggestions, opinions or comments welcome.

Ed

PS: Do I need to worry about starting a fire in my oak canopy with the MH????

2. Click Here!

3. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

I was in your situation looking for lighting just a few wks ago. Everyone here recommended that I go w/ the 250w MH's instead of the 175w, for the reason of having more choices w/ lighting. As far as heat, I was told to have at least 12" between the lighting and the tank. Also you can put fans in your canopy to dissipate the heat. For me, what I did to take care of the heat problem of MH's was to purchase a chiller. It was either that or run my AC all day. The cost of running the AC all day for a few months will more than cover the price of a chiller. They're pretty pricey, but worth the $$$ if you can do it.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree about the 250s for that reason.

As far as starting a fire, I wouldn't worry about it if you wires are done right and you have fans built into the canopy. You're canopy has to be pretty darn tall though.

Otherwise you can hang pendants and keep the glass lid on the tank if you want.

Thanks for joining! :)

5. AV8TR

AV8TR Plankton

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I may have to hang my lighting from the ceiling. My canopy, even with the current lighting installed, is barely 4 inches from the surface of the water (separated by the glass of course). I don't think I could get anything under there that would be farther than 6 inches off the water and that would require some heavy modification. If I remove the glass and oak canopy and suspend 250w MH pendants, won't my guests be blinded standing next to the tank?

Ed

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would definatly removed the glass. This will improve gas exchange as well as light penitration. ( it will also aid in cooling of the water)
    Is there anywhat you can place the MH on the top of your canopy?

7. AV8TR

AV8TR Plankton

OK, sounds like my best course is to remove the glass top and hang my lighting. Now, the tank is 60" long (24"deep). Should I go for the 60" setup or will the 48" suffice. The 60" would give me 2-140w Actinics and 2-175w MH (14k) for a total of 5.7w per gallon. The 48" setup would give me 2-110w Actinics and 2-175w MH for 5.1w per gallon and leave approximately 6" left over on both sides. Also, since I'm going for broke, should I go 250w on the MH or is this overkill? Thanks again!

Ed

8. Click Here!

9. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

I think you will be successful with 2 175MH but always look into future what if you decide along the line you want a bigger tank :-[ I think 250 would be better investment and the prices are almost the same I know bulbs are for sure check this web www.halolights.com

And good luck [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what is the best schedule for my PC's. I have 2 actinic and 2 10000K bulbs. How should I time them to come on.

11. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have my actinics come on approx. 1/2 hr. before my daylights, and go off 1/2 hr. later for a total of 10 hrs.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Do the e-ballast 250 x 2