is there such a thing as to much light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by vdhillon2, Jul 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Hi,
    i'm not to familiar how the wattages work...but i just thought i'd ask before i go ahead and try. I'm getting a good deal on a 96 W quad 50/50 light for a 10 gallon nano. Is that way to much light? is there a downfall to much light?

the other question i had was replacing the light...if i instead wanted to put a say 32 W bulb in the socket would that be okay? Is the ballast only made for 96W... would it blow my other bulb?

thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

There is such a thing as too much light, eg....3 x 400 w MH on a 50 gallon tank!!! LOL!

You have the same exact lighting set up as I am getting ready to set up! Should be just fine with the 96 watts ;D

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

lol i know, ima gona put a 1000w mh over my 12 gal nano...i mean...what could happen? LOL

5. igotworms

igotworms Banned

bull ****, no such thing as too much light. i put a 400w DE 4" over my 2.5 gallon nano. its doing great with 58 types of sps.

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

WOW..I would like to see some pictures of thet setup....Cool..... Have any?

Jay

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well I have 2-400w MH and 2-110 VHO actinics on a 75 but I would have to call you on that Bull **** statement and I would also like to see some pictures of this nano ( With 58 types of sps) :yelrotflm :laughings :laugh5: :hehe: