OLED lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by muecyl, Jun 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

KONICA MINOLTA | NEW LIGHT, NEW LIFE.

Has anyone seen this, "The Biggest Invention In Lighting Since Edison Works"? It has been all over the NYtimes ads.

Lighting just keeps improving so quickly the last few years. How long do you all suspect it will take before this hits the reef tank market?:eek: ?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

hmm interesting all i know about oleds is that they are used in tvs :p

4. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well IMO LEDs will start to make their way into the mainstream after Orbitec's patent runs out since they are still light emitting diodes, just carbon based. Just heard Cree has increased lumens/watt to ~130. Also I heard on a podcast a while ago that there is a direct correlation between LEDs and CPUs since they are both based off of the principles of semiconductors. If you guys ever read dailytech.com you will see that semiconductor materials and anything of the sort like high K dielectrics are making another jump. So technically I guess the OLED technology will be here in another couple of years but depending how long Orbitech's patent is good for would be the deciding factor of when we will actually see it come into fruitition.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

I love reading about all the new forms of lighting... if only the flip'n cost would come down...

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I think you guys are confusing this with LED. OLED lighting is completely different than that. Maybe try actually checking out the link? ;)

7. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

8. Click Here!

9. Elebriend

Yeah I looked at some websites afterwards I kind of have to say I was surprised f how different it really was. Still think it is going to take a few years before the actual technology is there and a while afterwards to come into market. I really honestly think that this is where it will ultimatley end up though. LEDs, plasma arc, and MH are all great but from some of the specs and data say that the light emitted by these is actually very close to the sun's index. As far as I was able to find OLEDs are up to ~50 lumens/watt, the average incandescent is ~70 if memory serves. I saw a vid from GE's labs on google's videos section and it showed them cutting and punching holes in these flexible displays as it was plugged in. I'm just hoping Orbitech didn't apply for some patent using these for aquariums then I will be pissed. Once it gets established it will become mainstream and cheap since there is already a process in which the polymers are "inkjeted" into place, so it may become very cheap, I know that at least GE is going to try to push it as hard as they can to replace every filament bulb.

10. idunn

idunn Astrea Snail

You think that LED / OLED is cool check out LiFi lighting Glass-Box /. LiFi is a new technogy that is being used in some high end theater lighting. basically its a little gas filled tic tac shaped pill, that is the surronded by a microwave emmiter. The number that they put out is 140 lumens per watt and a CRI (color rendering index) of 96 so it means almost perfect sunlight.

11. Elebriend

Yeah idunn I have seen that I just don't think that it will be able to replace OLEDs when they are ready. From research I have looked at, samsung believes the peak lumens/watt for OLED is ~140, the same as LiFi. However OLED has other advantages over LiFi. OLEDs are already in T.V.s, this characteristic would allow full light temperature control and yes it as well has a high color index. Also the EU has teamed up with Phillips and other companies for a project called OLED100.eu. Their project at least for now is to make a 100 lumen/watt OLED that would cost 100 or less euros per square meter, a lot less than the $250 per pop of LiFi. Also the OLEDs will be made to have ~100,000 life hours. Then you add the ability that OLEDs will eventually be flexible and that in turn can change the whole design of the lighting assembly itself, think about an OLED that looks like a flourescent lightbulb putting out between 100-140 lumens per watt with about the same amount of waste heat as LiFi and longer life time and it quickly becomes clear that in the end OLEDs will win out. Now granted it will take time for all the bugs and logistics to be worked out but that's where I see things going. Not to mention that we are going to be seeing OLEDs in pretty much everything within the next 15-30 years.

Here are some links:
    YouTube - OLEDS demonstration
    Technology - Lighting - OLEDS
    OLED100.EU
    Lumiblade OLED. Philips Organic Light
    Large-area organic light-emitting diode technology: SPIE Newsroom: SPIE.org

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Luxim’s Plasma Arc LIFI lighting demoed at Monterey Bay Aquarium | Reef Builders

Plasma Arc LIFI lighting already in use at the Monterey Bay Aquarium | Reef Builders

Aqua Illumination testing the feasibility of plasma lighting | Reef Builders

Blue OLED tech gets a 25% efficiency boost | Reef Builders

I've seen the plasma in person (brought the RB author there) while visiting a friend who is a curator there. It's down right flipping cool (LiFi). They (Luxim) visited my work last year to pitch these to us for our facility but for some reason I didn't get to catch the presentation otherwise I'd have one of these on my tank :lol:

FWIW Orbitech'ss patent doesn't cover "non controlled" LEDS which is why we still have plenty on the market ;)

Luxim LIFI solid-state plasma light source