Not Very User Friendly

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by inwall75, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I just had to replace one of the T5 ballasts on a Nova Extreme Pro fixture. (2 MH's and 4 T5's). You have to remove both end-caps to get access to the ballast. That's about 20 screws. I had to go to Home Depot to get a wire stripper, small wire nuts, and zip ties. Then you have to cut all of the original wires because they were originally attached with a crimper. You also had to cut all of the original zip ties because you can't get access to the wires without doing this. The ballast did not come with instructions but it did have a diagram. Unfortunately, the replacement ballast was 6 inches shorter than the original so I was only able to use one of the original attachment screws. I had to use my imagination and zip ties to secure the other end. But, at least it's done.

BTW, I wonder how many people don't re-ziptie the wires and then start a fire by allowing the wires to sit and melt on the MH reflector. You would think they would at least put that with the instructions for the new ballast.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Which ballast did you replace it with? Probably a good ballast. Its hard enough to wire a "current" ballast in their fixtures, I'm sure you had a hell of a time. it took my a few hours putting 6 new ballasts in to one of their 72" fixtures last week. The wires are 6' long when they only need to travel 1'. Talk about extra for just in case.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I used a Sunpark ballast which was OEM. However, for some reason, even though it has the same serial number, it was shorter. This NOT a fun repair job. LOL

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Thats what they sent me too. However, mine were the same size as the original ballasts.