New light...so bright

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by gkw, May 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, I just got my light bulb yesterday; 175w 20k MH. I was wondering if what I did to acclimate the light was right...I didn't move any corals in the tank and I had the light on for 4 hrs today and then just 40w NO flouresent for the rest of the day. I will be doing this for a week and then leave it on for an extra hour every week until I reach 8 hrs a day. Does it sound ok?

My tank are 5 months old and I only had about 55w PC over them before(110w actually, but the corals are only on one side of the tank). All of them are soft coral with the exception of 3 polyps blasto (was a gift). I had them under that light for a little less than 2 months.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

gkw,
    How many MH bulbs are you running over your tank? Just a single 175 watt on a 72" tank? What reflector are you using and how close is the bulb to the water? It sounds like your photo period scedual should work. Just don't move your soft corals directly under the MH. Watch out for an alge bloom with the more intense lighting. Lets see some pics. So you are going for a more "blue" look to the tank with the 20k. Nice :)
    Best, Scott

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Oops! Forgot to the info...sorry. Actually I am keep all the corals on one side of the tank right now due to money plus I am still new so I want to get my feet wet first before I go all out.

I am using the hamlton bell pendant, but the bulb is made for a batwing type reflector (I will be getting one soon). I can see the shimmering around but not directly under it. The tip of the bulb is about 6"-7" above water.

Also, the soft corals are actually under the MH because that's all I have in my tank (well, one side of my tank).

I didn't even thought that it's gonna to be that blue, but it's new to me so everything is cool. I will be getting 2 more 250w MH in the future (for both end) and it will be 10k. Then this 175w will lit the center of the tank.

I will post some pics tonight!

Thanks!

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Did you go with the XM metal halide?
    There is usually a break in period of 50-100 hours on the bulb before it settles down and gives a consistent color :)
    I was thinking of going with the XM to replace my Ushio's that are getting old...
    Post some pictures.
    The 20k bulbs, according to sanjays site, put out more par than the 15k bulbs... GO figure.

Jim

6. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Really, I thought the 20k put out less from what I've read, right? Or sanjays right?

I actually got this bulb from insidesun. I took a chance on the MH system because when I paid for I don't know for sure if it still works. The guy I bought it from said it work and he seems like a honest guy, so I bought this $30 bulb to check if it will work. The bulb takes about a minute or 2 to go fire up the blue color. Overall...I am happy (new toy :)).

Pics will be posted soon.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Also, should I just get all 175 watts MH or should I do 250w on both end and 175w in the middle? I would like to keep some SPS...acro., digitata, and caps. O, and also clams on the bottom. I will most likely start w/ squamosa and up to crocea or maxima.

Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Hey GKW glad to hear you got your halides. Just how blue is the 20000K though? i want halides and am thinking 14000K or 20000K.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I'd go with a 250 metal halide if you plan on the Crocea and some sps's! Better to have too much light than not enough. You can always adjust the pendant higher and lower accordingly and also if you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future that is one less thing you need to worry about!

11. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

YES! I forgot about that. Hopefully, I will be getting at least a 240 gal tank in a few years. :)

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I read this article
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/6/aafeature2
    In table 9 it compares the 250W xm 15000K and the 20000K bulbs by ppfd (par)
    Using a standard magnetic m58 ballast the 20k bulb was rated at 73 ppfd and the 15k bulb at 55.7 ppfd

Like I said ,"Go figure." :)

Jim