Metal Halide vs. T5

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Willieo101587, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

I've read a lot of good things about both lighting systems, but which one is best? In other words, which can provide the best light to an aquarium for the lowest cost and easiest setup? My humble newbie reef is running fine on T5, but can that kind of light provide for clams and more demanding coral? Just curious, as I probably won't upgrade to a bigger, better tank for 3 or 4 years (whenever I get my own place and find the money).

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well pretty much anyone you ask will tell you that MH is THE best lighting available. It is pretty much the closest to actually having the sun as you can get. It even gives off the much desired shimmer effect. Under MH, you can pretty much keep anything you want as far as corals or clams. There are some rules about that tho, too. Like 150wMH vs 250wMH. But T5s I have read are pretty much the next best thing. I have also read a few clams can be kept under Power Compacts, so I can only assume those same clams would do well under T5s being that T5s are stronger than PC. How big is your tank? How long has it been setup? What do you intend on keeping in it further down the road?

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Both types of light will give you ease in setting them up. The metal halides will run hotter than the t5's possibly causing a raise in water temperature. The metal halides give off glitter lines which many find very attractive and beneficial to corals.
    I think it may be what you like better as far as aesthetics(eye appeal). I personally like the halides better and can basically keep any clam, sps etc. under my 250 and 400 watt halides!!!!
    Just do a little reading of pros and cons, plus you have to make a decision regarding the kelvin(color of the bulbs) you want to represent your tank.

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Coral_reefer, I have read that their is no evidence of the benefits of the "shimmer", but I do think that it is in some way beneficial. I know it gives them a feeling of a natural setting and makes them feel right at home. It could benefit their mood a lot. I know they are able to sense it as there is a lot of shadowing.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Funny that you should mention this ( shimmer or glimmer ) I just read this article from Advanced Aquarist by Dana Riddle a couple of days ago.
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/5/aafeature

I personally feel that it's all about the PAR or PPFD and if you can achieve the desired PPFD level with T5's... Then Metal halides wouldn't be any better. Once you reach a lighting saturation level it really doesn't improve your corals health or growth.
    Now there's 2 cc's of aquarium water :)

Jim

7. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

its basiclly what they are all stating its the shimmer if you dont care u can use t5's they will work, i personally like the MH myself

8. Click Here!

9. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

I was just curious as I have heard different things from different people. I have a 55gal (1 year old) with a T5 Nova Extreme from Current, 2 10K's and 2 actinics, and my montipora digita, gorgonians and polyps seem to be doing fine. The monti has been in there for 4 months (it has about tripled its size)and the others 1 month. I was especially curious about the clams and more light-intensive coral like acros as I would like to get them in the future once I get more experience with the easier stuff.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

My 2 cents,

If you are able to maintain a metal halide system meaning:
    1. Keep temp under control.
    2. Have the $

Well there really isnt anything that a t-5 has over the mh when it comes to coral growth.

IMO tT-5HO are wonderful. I have what used to be a neon green acropora in my 55gal. Over the months under pc lights it turned brown...now only a month after my T-5HO lighting it is already almost fully green and i can see signs of neon.

The T-5HOs are great because they are much more powerful than pcs and yet dont cause alot of heat.

If you are not worried about heat...then mh might would be fine.

11. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

just add a small computer fan to a ac converter cost be about 15 and it cools them down really fast or you can put on over your sump to cool it down.

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yup...but fans do not always work...if the room is hot nothing can help...i learved that when my power went out with record heat....not fun. Even with a jumbo warehouse fan running with my generator the tank still got to about 80 in a few hours...luckly it was dark before it could go 2 high.