Lighting/Lighting Hood Question...

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by dancin_trancy, Jan 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Hello everyone...this might be a stupid question...

I currently have a All-glass 20H tank with the stock aquarium strip light and hood. I am wanting to update my lighting to perhaps the Coralife Lunar Aqualight, but the width of the unit is wider than the space given on my current hood. I am looking for a hood that would accommodate the new strip light, but the problem is I currently have all hang-on equipment (Skimmer & Filter) and the hood I'm using had the perforated plastic to punch out in order to fit everything. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to be able to use such a light with my current equipment, or am I going to need to update that too?

2. Click Here!

3. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

Well , if you want that set up you will just have to move the light when you want to get in the tank ( a real pain) or you could look into a light that hangs from the ceiling and go open top tank. I Think open top tanks are better for oxygen exchange anyway.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ya go open top. As Blue_eyes said having a lid on the tank can cause all sorts of problems. heat, O2 exchange, and CO2 build up best of all with an open top you can look down on all the little critters and get a different perspective

J

5. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Hmmmm...wow, I never thought about that...I always just thought having a hood gave it a "cleaner, finished" look...but perhaps Ill go that route..not to crazy about hanging the light from the ceiling...but I think I have seen the bracket system to suspend them from the tank itself.

Do you guys find that the water gets a lot of dust or debris in it due to the open top?
    Also, wouldn't the suspended lights prohibit the light from being directed right into the tank, having a lot of outside illumination to light up the room, instead of just the tank?

6. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

I have never noticed dirt or dust. Powerhead or water movement at the surface probably helps that. Usually the lights are hanging about 8 inches- 12 inches above the tank andonly reflect in the water. You could have a canopy made to set the lights on about 8-12 inches above the tank and have an open top tank.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

The Coralife has legs which can be put on and it puts the lights about 2 - 3" above the top of the tank. It's not a pain, my wife has put up with it for over a year and has her hands in the tank alot more than I do on the 90 gallon.
    Jim

8. Click Here!

9. Stoll

Stoll Astrea Snail

This may be an aside really, but if you leave your tank open, don't you risk having things leap/crawl out? I know hermits climb everything and snails will go up the glass, but would either try to escape...

10. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Cool, thanks, found the mounting legs online for $8! Think Im going to try that for now! Thanks again for everyones help!

Now on the ones you have (mounting legs) are they hinged, does it allow you to remove the light when needed, or would you need to unscrew them in order to remove the light? Cant tell by the pic and doesnt specify in the details! Sorry to keep buggin ya!

11. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Nevermind, found different ones that specify they are hinged! Just ordered them, let cha know how it goes! Thanks again!

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Stoll,
    I've never had a snail or hermit climb out. :)

For that matter I've never had a fish jump out. I guess I don't have the type that does. It definitely happens to fish though, ask around...

dancin_trancy
    I haven't seen the ones with the hinges. Let me know how they work, I might want to buy a pair.

Jim