JBJ PC 130 Watt for 30 Gallon Reef ?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by aseidman00, Nov 26, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

I just bought a 30 gallon high (24 inches wide 24 inches high 12 inches deep) tank.

I also have a brand new JBJ 24" 130 Watt PC light. I was told that this is sufficient lighting but see some stuff in this bulletin board that's making me wonder. My plan is to keep low light corals (mushrooms, feather dusters, etc at the bottom and move to high light demanding corals as I get higher up onto my reef. Is this a reasonable approach ? or am I way off on the lights ?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I wouldn't say you are way off, but you are pushing it.

The biggest problem you have is that tank is tall and you are using PC instead of halide or VHO which could penetrate it's depth.

I tend to think PCs are great for shallow tanks and not so great for deep ones.

Having PCs on a tall hex right now, I made a mountain of rock that comes within 6 inches of the surface. The stuff at the top has grown considerably, but the stuff (mushrooms) that are below the first 6 inches hasn't grown much at all.

You can do it, but you will be limted in what you do and how you can do it. That said, your plan is fine, but I don't think you should attempt 'light demanding' corals with that setup IMO.