Do I need an extra lighting fixture?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by YellowBelly, Sep 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a 24" wide 120 gallon tank. My SPS corals are about 10-11" away from my light fixture and the light sits 5-6" above the waters surface. The fixture is 48" long and 11" wide but the glass is only 6" wide so the lighting covers a 6" area. I would have 6-7" in front of my light to add another fixture. I have two 250 watt Double Ended 14K Phoenix bulbs with very small reflectors and four 65 watt Actinic 03 bulbs. I have the light directly over the SPS corals. My soft corals, LPS, zoanthids and mushrooms are all doing fine. Some of my SPS corals are not as brightly colored as the tips and branches are. It seems like some of the branches shadow others and cause those spots to look brown. Since I have room on either saide of the tank to add another fixture I was thinking about adding the new Marineland 4x54 watt T5-48" Deluxe Strip Light Fixture which is 5-7/8" wide or the Nova Extreme T-5 48" Fixture 2x54 watt which is 4-1/4" wide. Would either of these fixtures help to brighten up my SPS corals or should I stick with what I have now? I guess I should really make a canopy and use a two big reflectors for my MH's so I would get the most benefit from them but I'm stuck with the fixture I have. Would the added T-5 lighting help my stony corals grow and leave less shaded spots than what I have now?

Page 1

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

whats up yellowbelly, dude, I would stay with the lights that you have. you have plenty of wattage. why dont you just move the corals right under the lights, if thats possible.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Let me ask you this before you decide to add another lighting arrangement!? Are you using carbon on your tank? Many times we, as glorified and dedicated reef addicts, think too much and overdo somethings when, in essence, we don't need to and we go into "overkill mode" IMO!
    I think that many of us have too much dissolved organic and particulate matter, Gelbstoff, turbidity and and a film associated with the top of of tanks that basically refracts beneficial light from reaching our precious corals and Tridacna's below.
    By removing some of these pollutants, excess nutrients and coloring agents affecting our tanks water quality and condition we will be able to ensure that more light will ultimately reach our livestock!
    Cleaning your skimmer and other equipment for effective and efficient running and operation will aid this end result. Weekly water changes and not overfeeding should help as well.
    Proper coral placement is also a key component to getting the best coloration, growth and health out of your corals and Clams.
    Then their is the testing and possible supplemeting of benefical traces and vitamins, that are consumed rather quickly with carbon, skimming and livestock.
    If after adhering to these steps, you still are not reaping the benefits for your corals, then you may want to try another light fixture!

5. YellowBelly

I use carbon and a phosphate remover in a reactor. I have two of my powerheads close to the waters surface to break the water and make ripples. If I just have one on the film starts to form on one side of the tank. I do have a reef ready aquarium so the overflow helps to eliminate the scum on the surface. I also use a protein skimmer and have Chaetopmorpha algae in my refugium. The tank cycles 10 times through the sump/refugium and the water in the top tank moves at 33 times the total volume.

6. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

I would test water parameters.......and experiment a little with placement and maybe move a piece in a spot with more flow and one in a spot with less just to see what happens.

7. YellowBelly

Water parameters:

Temerperature - 80-81F
    Salinity - 1.025
    pH - 8.29
    Alkalinity - 2.63 meg/L
    Ammonia - 0 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrate - 0 ppm
    Phosphate - 0.069 ppm
    KH - 7.4 dKH
    Calcium - 436 ppm
    Magnesium - 1350 ppm
    Strontium - 16 ppm
    Iodine - 0.06 ppm

I'm pretty sure all of my parameters are at the recomended levels.

8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

I know I have enough wattage but the coverage over the tank isn't up to par. Only a quarter of the tanks surface area is being covered by my fixture (6" wide light trying to cover 24" of water surface plus the tank is 24" deep). I think the Double-Ended Lumenarc III Mini Stealth DE 250W Reflector would solve this problem. The reflector is 14.5"x14.5"! I have all the euipment for the switch. I would just need to hook the reflector up to my current ballast. Only problem is if I wanted to use the PC's I would need a canopy.