30G tank, 65 watt 10,000K and 65 watt True Actinic

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by d3javu, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. d3javu

d3javu Plankton

Hi All,
    I'm new to the hobby. I have a 30 gallon (standard) tank for which I am trying to order some things for. I plan on starting out with a FO tank, some nice white sand and live rock as my bio filter. eventually I would like to add some reef. I have done extended research on everything in general so I think I know where im going with this :), or at least I hope so. I would like my tank to have a nice bright color setup with a little blue of course. I know that a 20k MH setup would provide me with planty of deep blue light for light hungry reef to grow, but I think i would rather have a brighter light instead. Besides I dont think I want to invest that much money and time in to setting a MH lighting system. So here is my question.

I need some one's opinion on this light setup:

65 watt 10,000K and 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin base compact fluorescent lamps. which I found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4337263172&tc=photo

I was wondering if this would provide me with enough light /wattage for the tank. My understanding is that at least 3 watts per gallon should be enough. Also, what does the True Actinic 03 Blue light do for the tank? more blue I color I assume???

When I get everything else for my tank I will add to my signature :)
    so far the only thing i have is a Magnum 250 pro filter and a tank and allot of desire to get started with my new hobby.

thanks in advance!

-J

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Re: 30G tank, 65 watt 10,000K and 65 watt True Act

The light you linked to is 24" long. unless you are using a 30 high tank you need a 36" long light. like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4340251073&tc=photo
    It is more expensive but you will like it better in the long run.  And don't forget to add the legs to your order. You want them to elevate and mount them to your tank. The actinic (blue) is for the sea creatures who have symbiotic algae or other stuff that makes them fluoresce ( glow ) with a nice color.
    Good luck and keep reading, you're on the right path.
    Jim

4. Diver_1298

5. d3javu

d3javu Plankton

Thanks, I just realized what you meant by getting the 36" instead of the 24". It does make more sence to get the one in the 1st link you posted.
    Any how. I have some other questions I will be asking on another part of the Forum. Thanks for clearing things up for me. I'll post pictures as I go. Hopefully they wont be of fish floating upside down! :)

-J

6. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

I just got me a new light for my tank like these ones. I did get the mounting legs which raises it about 3 inches up. My question what purpose do the legs serve? Wouldnt I want the light closer to penetrate deeper?

Andrew

7. Diver_1298

The legs allow it to have a stable platform and the elevation is to help keep the temperature down and to allow your hand to go under the light to feed your tank. It's not absolutely necessary but I thought it was very convenient for me and was not worried about the 3 inch height difference. My tanks do not have covers on them.
    Jim

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a 30 gallon tank and it is doing awesome with 2 65 watt power compacts 1 actinic the other daylight bulb. The coraline is covered everywhere and all my soft corals are very happy with this light. If you want to raise clams or sps corals you ne MH lighting. Look at my album to see pics of my 30 gallon tank so wou can see the colors of the light.

heres the link to my tank.
    http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=Jay

Hope this info helps you out. Welcome to 3reef and the hobby. Its tons of fun if you can get past the expense.

Jay [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=goldfish.gif]