Cyano or Corraline??

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by PghSteeler, May 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Being my first SW tank I am having a hard time identifying what is what. Originally I thought these patches were coralline because they would pop up random places on rockwork only throughout the tank and actually seem to be growing best in high flow areas. They also dont scratch off easy but if you rub hard you can start to rub it away. As they get thicker its almost like they have a little bit of a fuzzy appearance but not slimy or smooth. I question if it is cyano since I used tapwater and my nitrates are 5-15, also tank is only 2 months old and I know this is common in new tanks and when using tapwater.
    What am I dealing with here??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

cyano, not that bad though. use a toothbrush to get it off. When cyano gets into pores like that, (great photo by the way), you will want something that can reach in and toothbrush bristles are perfect for that.

4. PghSteeler

I thought cyano preferred low flow areas so I am kind of surprised to see it popping up in all the high flow spots. Do you think this is just because this is a new tank and part of the early stages of cycling a reef tank or is it because of my using tapwater? Im surprised all those hermits and snails you sent me arent eating it thats why I had a hope it might be coralline, if I dont brush it all off with it eventually starve itself out?

5. johnmaloney

It will grow anywhere, just maybe somewhat more likely in a low flow area. 10%maybe

6. PghSteeler

Hmm good to know. I suspect I do have coralline growth though so all is not lost, I see what looks like an almost purple fluorescent on some of the rock that is not raised at all and I keep having to scrape off small hard white dots on the back glass so is it safe to assume that that is not cyano and the start of coralline?

7. PghSteeler

Hey John, did a water change today and attempted to scrub the stuff off. It comes off a little but even then you really have to scrub and it barely takes it off the rock. As it gets thicker the top sheets kind of flake off. Are you sure this is cyano or could it be something else?

8. Click Here!

9. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

if it is coralline scrubbing it like that will help propogate it through your tank.

10. johnmaloney

maybe it is coralline, could be cyano in the pores.

11. PghSteeler

would cyano flake off though? I always thought it would be more gooey and slimy then flaky

12. johnmaloney

sounds like coralline from your description, looks like cyano. maybe it is an old picture. Could be either one, send updated picture or test with vinegar.