What skimmer for $250-$500 for 90gal?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by tatted4ever, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Alright.... this is something I need to do. I need to upgrade my protein skimmmer. Reason being is I feel Im not getting enough gunk out of my system. Collection cup only fills 1/3 way every other week :-/. I have quite a bit in my 90 gallon tank (view my tank thread to see. link in signature and on page 3) And I truly beleive I should be at least filling up the cup every other week.

I currently have an Aqua Euro Usa 135. Doesn't have a reputation to be a terrible skimmer could be wrong :-/.
    [​IMG]

So the great minds at 3reef I need help in choosing a new skimmer. I am willing to spend $250-$500 on a great protein skimmer. I know thats the amount of money Im gonna need for a great skimmer.

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I would look at the Vertex In-180 or 100
    MSX200

I have the K2, but Warner Marine is a great company and their cylinders are very good too. I would definitely recommend looking at their AS-200.

To give you an idea when looking at numbers..... my BK Mini 160 pulled 600 lph of air. Very good size for a 90g. My K2 pulls 900lph. A 50% increase. Somwhere between 600 and 1000 are going to be good. The AS-200 pulls 1000lph. Didn't look at the others.

Seems the cheapest cone right now is the I-tech. Many people like them. Don't know much about the company. You can get a 100 that is doing around 700 lph I think, not sure what the next step up was.

Don't fixate on numbers though, and over 1000 lph will probably be over kill. My Mini 160 did awesome on my 90g. The jury is still out if that was not enough or I just bought more head room with the K2.

Most are always happy with their Octos too.

1 person likes this.
  5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Tunze 9015...It has served us well with no problems for over two years now. It performs much better then the Euro Reef we had on the tank originally.We are currently running Tunzes on two of our tanks...

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Great post. I never viewed protein skimmers in numbers. Unfortunately ive always gone with what my lfs recommended. Now since I have some experience time to get deeper than what the lfs recommends :). I never read much into protein skimmers. Now I have learned the hard way and time not to make the same mistake.

1 person likes this.
  7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

go with a euro reef skimmer they are great

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I currently use a AquaC EV180 on my 90g and its awesome, great skimmer.

Luna

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

There are alot of good choices, you have a sump correct? Octopus, but I would opt with the extreme, the 2009 200 would be a good fit and its $50 cheaper than the Octo I bought in January, and better! The XP2000 SHOULD be out within the next month, and that will retail or $399 and is pulling some serious air as well I believe it was 50scfh which is nearly double the ATB 840 which it closely mimics.. Could be TOO much air.... If you are planning an upgrade get one of the new OCTO Super skimmers, I think they will be right at $500 but are actually pulling what they say they are and are built like tanks. I hope to be ordering mine shortly.
    I have seen many guys in my club rock ASMs the G2 would be fine for your tank. Like stated the Vertex is good, I think its Dasco here on 3reef that did a write up of one.
    Another guy in our club has an I Tech 200 and loves it, but that was like $700 something you could probably get the 100 with a Sicce pump for your price range....

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Look into the Vertex IN-100. Lots of great reviews on RC and its < $200. I don't have one but I'm researching upgrading from my Remora Pro.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I would go with a Vertex 180 on a 90g. Pulls 720lph of air. Around the same as a ATB 840. The 840 though can use a purple PW and get up to 900 lph though.

The WM AS-200 is a little pricey. Same as a ATB. ATBs are a great skimmer and they just dropped prices. $650 now.

I realize you said $500, but you just ordered a Apex. A skimmer is a very important piece. I'm sure I don't have to encourage you. You probably need no help getting carried away. ;D