What to do with that Sea Clone

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by coaxman, Jul 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coaxman

coaxman Plankton

for those of you who wasted your money on that sea clone skimmer and then later realized you could do better for not much more money.

I baught one of these sea clone skimmers because it was cheap and easy. after a year or 3 I got tired of always adjusting and cleaning it to keep it doing its job so I baught a Corallife skimmer. Which i have been very happy with so far.
    Anyway after many mistakes. I had a problem with my water turning yellow and i tried months and months for laying activated charcoal in my sump with no change. I read many forums and found my problem was that i was not forceing the water through the charcoal. and someone had sugested useing a phosban reactor and useing charcoal insted of phosban which was a great idea. So me not wanting to spend the money I was thinking hay i got this old skimmer in the closet takeing up space that i dont want to throw out because its not damaged and maybe one day I will use it for something. well that day came i took the guts out of it. Which is very easy just remove the rubber ring and out comes the iner chamber. I filled a nylon filter bag with charcoal stuffed it in the old skimmer took off the air hose droped it in the sump and in two weeks no more yellow water.
    So now I was thinking again what else can i do with this well I removed the charcoal and filled it with macro alge and installed an old light i had from and old fresh water tank and i have a miny fuge in my sump which will help with nitrates.
    I am sure any old skimmer would do the trick thats just what I had. but the moral of the story is that many old things we have waisted our money on can be recycled into something usefull. An old skimmer makes a real handy reactor if you find yourself with the need for such a thing.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'm glad you could use it for something. Quick question, were you using charcoal or carbon?

4. coaxman

coaxman Plankton

Carbon sorry it looks like charcoal LOL

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

really good idea and yep I was one of those suckers too. Mine is making a real good box ornament. It sits in a box and does absolutely nothing, which is what the instructions should have said it did in the first place. LOL I really do like your idea though!

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive got an old skimmer Im doing that with as needed. Its not a seaclone, but its one of the older style skimmers that requires an air pump and powerhead to work. I put the carbon in a media bag and put it in the skimmer and hooked a pump to it.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats a great idea, its good to see that we have pro-active thinkers in here;D. Karma for the idea Luna