wet vs dry skimming

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by JJK, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Noob question - what is wet skimming and what is dry skimming? What are the pros and cons of each?

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

wet skimming= pulls waste out at a faster rate but is less concentrated with a lot of water/waste ratio high..
    dry skimming= pulls waste out at a slower rate but is very concentrated with almost no water, just waste..

both will do the job, its just a matter of preference. I happen to prefer dry skimming as I dont have to clean out my skimmer cup every day..

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks for the reply of the pros and cons. As to how I would achieve each... Is wet skimming where I reduce the water outflow from the skimmer so that the water column rises higher in the skimmer, while dry skimming is setting the water outflow at maximum so that the water column in the skimmer is very low?

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

A dry skim is where you adjust the skimmer to produce foam at the slowest possible amount and it builds up and gently pushes to the top of the collection cup and slowly over froths to cascade down. This produces a very dark water and is the most effective at skimming the most unwanted proteins and contaminants from the tank.
    A wet skim is when you adjust the skimmer to produce the foam at at just a slightly more rapid pace and the bubbles will over flow in the cup and the cup will fill more rapidly. This is used to help in an emergency to eliminate foul water or clean up some other contamination. The collected water will about twice as light as a dry skim.
    Here is what a dry skim looks like; [​IMG]

6. bama

bama Humpback Whale

That all depends on what type of skimmer you have.
    What type of skimmer do you have and what type of pump are you using to power it. also, is it in your sump or hanging on the back?
    knowing this will help a lot..

7. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

It is an octopus xtreme 160 skimmer with the sicce pump. There is no way I know of to adjust the rate of foam formation....just the drainage.

8. Click Here!

9. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Water level is how you get wet or dry. Higher water level, wetter skimate. Lower, dryer.

Dry you don't have to empty as much. Wet removes more waste, but also water. I go for in between.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

aslo wet means skimmer cup is easier to clean IME - drier skim filled cups take more effort to clean up

very dry skim can result in the lid being forced of your skimmer IME or at least being pushed up and then foam collapses and lid drops back down again

Steve