Too many micro bubbles in the AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by CyberGuy, Oct 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

I just installed and ran the brand new AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump for the first time and saw so many micro bubbles in the tank. It is also noisy.

Is this normal in the first few days of use? How long before the micro bubbles completely disappear? How long before the noise disappear?

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would give it a few days to break in.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The bubbles may never get any better might have to add a foam diffuser to the outlet to help break them up . As for the sounds ???? It will maybe get better in a few days to a week again ??? Any HOT skimmer is just loud well louder then a sump version and not anywhere as efficient. I'd say give it a week at;east then see how its doing.. I'm sure its not what you wanted to hear but thats how they are..Good luck with it.

5. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

I love, and hate, my Aqua C...it sure beats a seaclone

The microbubbles probably won't go away without the bubble trap. I've had the bubble trap on a month and still see some bubbles.

The sound is atrocious but fixable. I used a sheet of paper towel that I folded just large enough to cover the spray adapter and soaked the towel in RO. I then placed the towel over the spray nozzle and put collection cup back on, it is now SILENT. I'm thinking about emailing the company and telling them to put a small hinged peice of acrylic over that to dampen the sound.

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I've been running my Remora for about 5 months now. The microbubbles didn't truly go away until I bought and installed the preskimmer. Of course, now I REALLY need to keep up with my top offs.
    As for the sound, mine hasn't gotten any quieter. It's really gotten to me lately so I'm currently using the paper towel trick CodyW mentioned above. It's a bit quieter now. I hope it's not having any adverse effects on the skimming.
    CodyW: have you tried any materials other than the paper towel? I was thinking of trying to cut a piece of foam to size and seeing if that helped at all. I've been real pleased with the skimmer other than the noise. Seems to being a kick-butt job of keeping my tank clean.

7. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Someone, I think it was inwall (curt) made a post about the aqua c's. He mentioned cutting a "U" shape in a peice of foam and placing that over the nozzle. I'll try that today and let you know as I removed the paper towel yesterday for maitanance and didn't replace it.

It's the best HOB skimmer in the price range of >$200

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Okay, it takes 1 to 2 weeks for it to break in before the bubbles go away. Make sure the clamps holding the PH to the skimmers intake are tight, for a month my remora was fine then I couldn't get rid of the bubbles so I removed it and found my clamps had loosened and that was causing the problem. I tightened them and now I only get bubbles when my hand are in the tank, cleaning, or floating bags. The noise level will diminish as well once it starts skimming and remember when you first start this skimmer you need the collection cup at the lowest level first then slowly start raising it in time. I love my remora, plug and play, easy to clean and no tweaking! Also once it starts skimming remember to clean out the cup every 3 days and clean the neck of the collection cup. If you have any fake ornaments in the tank this skimmer doesn't like the oils from them and it will cause microbubbles. Be patient, it will work out fine, I have little patience but I have to say it is a great skimmer and the company is amazing to deal with.

10. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I'll be interested to hear how your foam trial goes.
    I have to second Nemo's praise of AquaC's customer service. I've dropped them several random emails and they've always gotten back to me with in 48 hrs (usually less) with helpful info.

11. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

For me, the bubbles have NEVER gone away... after a week, still bubbles, after a month, bubbles, after 3 months, bubbles, after preskimmer installed, bubbles.. until now, you've guessed it... bubbles.;D

12. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Imagine, did you try tightening the clamps? I did, at the advice of nemo, and it has already made a difference. The instructions say make sure to use a pair of pliers but I just made it snug and figured it was good, one more click made a difference.

The foam worked but the foam I had wasn't very dense so it didn't muffle the sound enough. My tank is right next to my tv so I want it silent, the foam didn't do that but the paper towels do. I haven't found the paper towels to affect effeciency in the least, it might be a good idea to 'burp' the air though once a day or so to make sure it isn't building up with something.