Which Skimmer would you buy if starting over

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by a1amap, Jan 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

I have a Berlin Turbo Skimmer on my 75 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump. I am not a fan of this skimmer because it needs adjusting every other day but it does ok for the gallons I have. Since I have a larger tank in the works and will need a better skimmer to keep up I am going to upgrade now. I will have a 210 gallon that I have not setup yet. I plan on using the 75 as a sump. With rock/sand and such I will have just over 200 gallons. I am a fan of tangs so The skimmer will need to be good to keep up with them.

I see this trigger skimmer that looks neat and not bad for the price.Trigger System TS300 Protein Skimmer: Premium Aquatics Any coments on this skimmer. It looks like a Precision Marine Bullet skimmer

Or in the same price range Asm G-3 ASM G-3 In-Sump Skimmer w/pump: Premium Aquatics

So what would you do? This time I want to get what I pay for.

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

4. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I currently had a Bubble King 300 ext. If I had to do it all over again. I would continue with the Bubble King. But that being said, the cost is very prohibitive. But with about 400G of water skimmer cost are all very high. If I had a smaller tank I wouldn't have invested the money even though the quality and ease of use is top notch.
    So I guess if I have a smaller system I would just get a smaller BK :)

J

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i have a euro-reef sitting on a shelf in the garage and a top phathom in a box. the life reef skimmer imop is better.

7. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Deltec, but I'd make one first no matter how much money I had. I enjoy it too much.

8. Click Here!

9. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I've run numerous Lifereefs over the years and actually developed some improvements. Jeff will never admit it cause he thinks its flawless. I just sold my last one. It had the self-cleaning venturi removed and replaced with a open feeding threadwheel system....Made that skimmer purrr.

I learned one thing from 6 years of LR owership...You need a friggin huge pump. For the VS-24 I would say that a 4mdq Little giant would be good. There a lot like Becketts in the regards to the high volume high pressure operation. This runs opposite of PR Escobal...But never the less they work. If you get a LR I would recommend you replace the venturi with a Mazzei. Jeff's design has poor flow.

As for me. I wouldn't replace my skimmer. I think that my design is nearly flawless. If I had more money the only thing I would change is to have it powered by an Orca with an Alita 40 providing forced induction......Or maybe one of Klaus's new Red Dragon DC titanium threadwheel pumps. Those things are rad.

I can get down with the Deltecs too J2. After have long talks with there engineers they have thing right. I don't know about that self cleaning neck though....Never the less the things a beast.

Here are some of my favs from this last MACNA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple of mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 120gallons

120gallons Astrea Snail

ASM, best bang for the buck.

11. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Actually ASM is not really that anymore. You can get an Octopus skimmer these days for less money and there made from Cell Cast acrylic. Infact ASMSkimmers.com is no longer even carrying them because they state that it doesn't make sense to purchase one when there is a better Chinese competitor.

One the positive note they seem to work well. Just not as good as the Octopus stuff. JMO

12. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

Man this looks like it was made by the local power company. Dont pay any attention to the spinning power meter.

Deltec is a little out of my price range. Heck my first car didn't cost that much.