Skimmer producing alota micro bubbles in the tank

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Craft kid21, Mar 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

i have thsi coralife super skimmer and i dont no how to work it i have it running and its skimming and stuff but like there are aton my bubbles everywhere is this bad for my tank....my friend is comeing over to work on it for me and help me out with it

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How long has it been up and running?

4. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

about a day....but its used

5. DXJoe

DXJoe Astrea Snail

I've got one that's driving me crazy... I built a sump and didn't make a seperate chamber for the skimmer... Microbubbles are ALL over my tank and driving me insane.... I stopped at lunch and picked up 2 of the white micron filter socks and slipped them over each of the outputs which has cut down a bit, but not much... The skimmer is new, but how much can it really "break in".

Any other ideas...? I'm about to throw it out of the effing window... Seriously, I have 2 clowfish slimming through a blizzard right now. Poor guys... :cry:

6. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

it can take up to a week to break in skimmers that have been cleaned or dried. have you added anything to your water of late? water conditioner, epoxy (glue or clay), stirring the sand, ect.. these can cause the skimmer to go nuts until whatever is causing the issue has been skimmed out.

7. DXJoe

DXJoe Astrea Snail

I did reorganize my rock and stirred up some sand... It's new and has only been running a day or two... I guess I should just sit back a couple of days and tell my clowns to just wait it out? How long should I wait before I take further action?

Will the bubbles mess anything up or is it just ugly?

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

for the most part they are just annoying for the fish but can irritate some coral. bubble trap is really the only way to minimize bubbles when the skimmer is in overdrive. mesh filters and such dont seem to do much IME.
    Just give it some time.