Skimmer and Bubbles

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by SpecailEd, Oct 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

I have 2 skimmers on my 55 gallon tank. I got the second one recently off ebay. It is a Jebo 180. However, I got it up and working and im finding that it is putting lots of small bubbles into the tank , like they are coming up from the body of the skimmer and out the lip into the tank. It is letting enough into the tank that it seems to make the tank murky. My other skimmer is more expensive but the same basic design and doesn't do this. I have been adjusting the flow and messing with everything but the bubbles keep over flowing. It is still building up towards the cup also. I have it turned off now, i was wondering if anyone else has or has encountered this problem with a skimmer. Could it be just because it is new? I don't remember any skimmers from the past doing this..

2. Click Here!

3. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

New skimmers will produce tons-o-bubbles. Break-in period is usually 1-5 days.
    You could try to put a piece of nylon panty hose over the water return to reduce the bubbles.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey, how are ya? My parents live in Myrtle Beach, across the street from Kingston Plantation...
    Ok, as for the bubbles in your tank, do you have the skimmer in a sump? If the skimmer is new you will have to play around with the skimmer and air flow to come up with the proper flow. As SAW39 stated, panty hose work well to help eliminate the bubble problem also.

5. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Why are you running two skimmers in the first place?

6. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

SpecailEd just as Saw39 said most skimmers will produce bubbles when new, they also tend to produce bubbles when chemical additives are added to your tank. I used to worry about the bubble thing in my tank but I simply took the sponge of the return on my skimmer (an hang on unit) and it simply releases a few large bubbles right at the water line now which isn't much if a problem. Anyway I hope this helps but if not some skimmer manufacturers make bubble traps- good luck-