Seaclone vs Prizm Which one would you take?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Guest, Apr 13, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have purchase a Seaclone 100 and a Prizm deluxe skimmer. I was going to return the Seaclone because I have read that the Prizm Deluxe is an overall better skimmer. Is this true? If you had a choice which one would you use on an 80 gallon tank. I have a Magnum 350 and a Fluval 3 Filter also.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well from what I hear the Prism is decent.
    Karla has the original and likes it.
    Like I said before, Craig has a Seaclone and he like that too.

Between the two, I would probably go with the Prism Deluxe.

Of course, starting from scratch, I would probably have gone with a Remora Pro which is what I have for my 75, or the new smaller EuroReef.

FWIW.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i never had the seaclone but got the original prizm which is pretty decent. its on a 75 from what i hear the deluxe is supposed to be much better the the original. id probably stick with that one but like i said i never had any exp with the seaclone

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]I've never owned a Prizm, but I have owned a Seaclone. From that experience, and from what I've read and heard, I would go with the Prizm Deluxe. I hear that the Prizms are a little noisy, and perhaps a little "touchy" in the break-in period, but other than that, they are good skimmers.

I just don't have the same confidence in the Seaclones.
    [/glow]

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Seaclones perform much better, mine is equal to my CPR Bak Pak II, since they upgraded the pump. Great value from www.bigalsonline.com
    I have two, a 100 and 150 that run like champs!

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

7. DuhJeepster

DuhJeepster Plankton

I have to agree with all you guys on this one. I have the original Prizm as well. I've had my fair share of problems with it but overall it works very good for the money. I bought it at www.bigalsonline.com too. Cheapest price I've seen anywhere and believe me I looked everywhere. My next one will be either an AquaC or AquaMedic. Yes Wrass you're beginning to sell me on those bud.

Jeeps ;-)

8. Click Here!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I just bought a Seaclone, because that's the only thing my LFS uses, and their skimmers are always full of nice dark dry foam.
    A Friend of mine purchased the Prizm and she can't make it stop leaking, I guess there's a potentially problematic O ring inside it that took her many hours to finally fix, and she's still griping about it.

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

every once in a while my prizm will leak but i found usually its just salt that get around the ring on the inside, if i take that out and clean it off well make sure its put together snug the leak goes away. tell her to make sure its wiped well to get all the salt off that may be the problem

11. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I have owned both skimmers and they only do a fair job, just make sure yor bio load is light and either one will do fine. If you use the seaclone upgrade the pump. You may want to place both skimmers on the tank at the same time and see which one skims the best. Both need constant adjustment and regular once per month cleaning. If you can afford it go with the remora skimmer by aqua c, there is nothing to adjust and they out perform anything in its class. My seaclone is in some land fill right now and my prism is sitting in a closet in my basement. The prism is the noisier of the 2 skimmers.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with Black Raven - tried every skimmer in this class and the AquaC Remora beats them hands down. Good, dark stuff, lots of it, and no leaks. I did get the maxijet 1200 and the skimmer box upgrade. All in all, about the best $ I have spent.

Dave