sea clone skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by stevethefishguy, Aug 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stevethefishguy

stevethefishguy Plankton

my sea clone skimmer is skimming and it is green and watery i was told it should be slimmy
    and how much air should be open just a little or all the way

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Wetter skimmate removes more dissolved organic compounds than dry skimmate. Your Seaclone will have a break in period and require some adjustment to get it dialed in. You will also need to adjust the unit when you clean it which should be monthly.

How long have you had your Seaclone set up?

This is a good article on skimming:
    http://home.mweb.co.za/jv/jv79/reef/skimmers2.html

4. Craig Manoukian

I don't use the sponge filter for the venturi. I increase the airflow to achieve the big wet bubbles and the skimmate is very dark green and on the wetter but not watery side.

5. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

I have a seaclone that has been set up for about 3 weeks and I haven't seen much skimming action, ive never had to empty the cup. so today I removed the foam prefilter to see if it would help and I seem to have lost a good amount of bubbles in the reaction tube. any thoughts?

6. Craig Manoukian

How long has your tank been running and what is your set-up? That will be most helpful nformation.

7. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

just over 3 months..20g started with 17lbs lr, 6 hermits, 4 snails, 2 damels. then recently added one blood shrimp and a coral beauty.

8. Click Here!

9. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

three weeks for a sea clone is still pretty early to see any action.

they are hard to get used to thinking they need the air intake adjusted all the time. a good trick is to watch the water level in to the the reaction chamber. the bubbles should hang around the top. pretty constantly. once its set just leave it. it takes a while.

even in the manual it says the sea clones take sometimes 4-6 weeks. adding live stock already is sort of a bad idea. theres no skimming so no contaminats being removed. just like letting your fish swim in acid till it starts to work.
    jmo