Pump for Aqua Medic

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by sharkyshark, Nov 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

K gonna pull the trigger and just buy a new pump for the monster tank

looking online the skimmer we have (Aqua medic Turboflotor multi sl) comes with an ocean runner ph2500 pump

but the website i'm ordering the pump from only carries the ocean runner 2500

my question is....is this pump the equilivent of the ph2500?
    also
    would this pump work as well?
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 4585 4590&pcatid=4590 (the 700?)

please let me know, I want to do this the right way and try to not delay this thing any longer :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'm betting the PH has a special impeller for use with skimmers thats the normal trick with these, true skimmer pumps have a modified impeller to chop up the bubbles better

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

No it is not, as I told you in the PM I sent you "the OR1700 is a modified (needle wheel) PH2500 according to Aquamedic's web site" but its the "NEEDLE WHEEL" that is important. That skimmer will not preform as well without it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. sharkyshark

wow, sorry I'm in school 40+ hours a week and work 20+ more... can't remember every little thing you told me especially because the PM was super unclear.

Thanks tho.

(I'm gonna go unjoin this forum now...)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I really wans't being nasty i just wanted to remind you. Sorry if you thought I was:(

7. sharkyshark

so my question is still unanswered...also, i tried googling the ocean runner ph2500 and the only place they actually sell them is in a different country (og jeg forstår ikke) and I don't really trust the whole situation to much

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Okay, here is the link to Aquamedic web site which is where I got the information from.

The PH2500 is exactly the same pump as the OR1700 except the OR1700 has a needle wheel on it
    which is what your going to need on that skimmer to make it operate correctly.

Here is what it say's

"At the heart of every Aqua Medic protein skimmer is an Oceanrunner Skimmer Pump. Each is a specially
    converted Ocean Runner that has been appointed with our original needle wheel impellor and all the necessary
    fittings to be direct replacements for your Aqua Medic protein skimmer pumps. We do not modify the
    nameplate on these pumps, so refer to the quick descriptions below to eliminate any confusion when
    replacing a pump for your current Aqua Medic skimmer.

Available models:

OR1700 (a modified PH2500) - Use with Turboflotor 1000 Multi SL

OR2700 (a modified OR2500) - Use with Turboflotor 1000 Stand Alone

OR3700 (a modified OR3500) - Use with Turboflotor 5000 Series Skimmers"

Here are three Vendors in the US that sell it. and I know that tere are more.

Ocean Runner 1700 T1000 Multi Pump with Needle Wheel by AquaMedic - AquaCave

Ocean Runner 1700 Pump

AquaMedic Ocean Runner 1700 Multi Pump w/needle impeller

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

from what I'm reading that isn't enough of a protein skimmer for that size tank with the bio-load your going to be putting on it, I wouldnt even bother getting a pump for it, look at some different skimmers

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Aquamedic says its good for 120 to 250 gallons, so she would fall at the high end of that range.

12. sharkyshark

alright i get it now. i thought i had to find the ph2500, but that isn't the case...*sigh* so confusing.....

had to turn in a 20 pg paper on corporate social responsibility and business ethics yesterday so my brain is compeltely shot... needed someone to dumb it down for me

thanks a ton, those are a lot easier to find :)

oh and it is the protein skimmer that we got when we purchased the tank, the guy said he never had any problems with it, and i don't see us having a problem with it either *hmph* lol