No Skimmate Production from Skimmer.

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by wpmcgree, Nov 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

Hey i have a 22v Protein Skimmer from ALS and it has been running great except for the fact that it recently isnt producing any skimmate. Does that mean as of right now my water is god and clean? I can provide a picture later if that helps figure out what i am talking about. The skimmer is in my trickle sump and being run off of a TAAM 800 Venturi. There is also a very sufficient supply of water in the sump so i was just wondering if this was normal?

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Good possibility! I haven't seen any in my skimmer in like a month, so I starting to worry my self...lol. due to depletion of the trace elements too

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Actually, most skimmers produce a very thick, black odiferous skimmate the cleaner the tank and a more wet "lighter" skimmate when the water is "dirtier". There is a chance you CAN overskim but most likely, a little build up is in the air line, preventing a good air/water mix, or the actual skimmer just needs a good cleaning. I've noticed if I don't clean my cup or reaction chamber and "gunk" builds up, THEN I won't see a good skimmate. I would try a vinegar solution and soak the skimmer and clean it real good and double check the venturi inlet port. I would say after a good cleaning it should be pulling some good gunk out again.
    Also, many skimmers will react if something is added to the water. For instance my skimmer will be pulling out a great skimmate and when I feed, it will tone down a bit once the food hits the water. Same goes for adding liquid vitamins or the like.

Good luck!

5. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

Yea i have cleaned it and the inlet tube and venturi pump but still little or no skimmate. someone said it may be becasue of lack of nutrients in the water?

I will check it out. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Also depends on your bio-load and if your skimmer is set up right. Luna

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Honestly, w/ your bio load I can't imagine the tank is TOO clean, unless you have some ATB crazy skimmer or some huge volcano or something, I have heard of these guys with that you know $1200 skimmer on a 75 or whatever overskimming and only running the skimmer for a couple hours at a time. Many will put it on a timer and say, 2 hrs on 2hrs off or what ever works. It will help with the energy bill as well if you ARE running a monster skimmer.
    If you really think the tank is that pristine, turn the skimmer off for a few hours or even half the day and turn it on again, see if that works. Otherwise, keep adjusting all the parts of the skimmer. Make sure all connections are clean and on tight, make sure the venturi is clean and tight and so on.

Good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

does your skimmer peak up after feeding if so i would say your ok

10. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Have you started using your heater in your house. The fine particles can interfere with the bubble production

11. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

No we are still on ac thank god. I And the skimmer is under in a cabinet. I haven't noticed if it peaks when feed but i will look.

12. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

question for you is the skimmer producing a lot of airbubbles in the chamber. if not recheck the air line or the pump running the skimmer.

another option is to adjust the water level in the chamber and see if it helps.