Need help with Octopus Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by edmlfc1, Jan 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

First of all I tried to install the protein skimmer on the back of the tank. I am 1/4" too close to the wall. I tried to move the tank but I am just not strong enough. So I put it on the side of the tank. Fit perfect there (is this ok?)

Second question now I am getting all these micro bubbles. How do I stop them? Or will it stop on it's on? The protein skimmer is making the micro bubbles by sucking in the water to the skimmer and then going into the second chamber that leads out to the tank. I made sure the protein skimmer is level.
    Here are some pictures:

The tank with the bubbles, you can't see them very well but they are everywhere
    [​IMG]

This pictures is the protein skimmer outlet & middle chamber
    Btw what are the black ledges with the screws for? Nevermind I just realized I put them on upside down (black ledges) lol.
    [​IMG]

This is the side of the protein skimmer the first chamber
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Make sure the output of the skimmer is submerged. You can also add sponge or sock at the output.

4. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

Should I put the sock inside the pipe or just in the chamber?

5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

You just wrap it around the output pipe. They sell sponges for this type of application which are better than the sock. Also You have to clean the sock/sponge on a regular basis.

6. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

Tried putting it inside the contianer into the pipe and the top started to overflow. Tried putting it inside the tank into the pipe and the boxes on top started to overflow again.

7. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

Also a question about the two boxes that should fill with yucky stuff. The one on the left keeps filling with water the one on the right has about 1/4" of water is this normal?

Edit: Just thought about something
    Will prime make the box overflow with water? I am getting alot of bubbles but it's just a slight yellow and it keeps filling up to the top of the box.

Edit: Just added some air control vales and it's keeping the collection chambers from overflowing. Now I have millions of micro bubbles.
    Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008