MSX200 skimmer making a lot of noise, why?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by thang45, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thang45

thang45 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a problem with the MSX200 skimmer making a lot of noise which I could not figure it out. This unit came with the Sicce PSK-2500 pump, when using it with mesh wheel the noise level is acceptable, but as soon as I change it with the needle wheel the whole unit rattle and vibrate the house.

I returned the pump to the vendor and have asked them to test it, but they said nothing is wrong with my pump. So I decided to buy additional pump, but same results. Now I have two pumps that can be use only with the mesh wheel.
    Can anyone please tell me what could cause this? I would like to use the needle wheel because I think it does better job than the mesh wheel.
    Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

how long have you had the new pump?

4. thang45

I got them both last year, but this problem is from day one.

I just want to know if the body of the the unit is the cause or the pump itself. People at Marine Solution have no clue.

If anyone using the same unit, please let me know if you are having the same problem.

Thanks

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It's a Sicce pump... they are all the same. Noisy at first but quiet down. They hum a little more on the 200 since it is hard mounted, but not "noisy".

You can just disconnect the pump and run it in your sump just to see how much vibration it has. A lot of vibration will resonate in the body... but doubt it is the actual body. You could check it from anything loose.

What do you consider "noisy". If the pump is just plain loud... it isn't right. Some Sicce can be buzzy, over all they are not bad. I assume MSX said yours was fine??? Then you got a brand new one???

6. thang45

Yes, they replace one for me and I bought another from them. I have asked them to test it out before sending it to me and they said it was fine.

FYI, I video tape the pump in action and they agreed that it is noisy too. Go figure.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well not too sure what the deal is with yours. I mean there is not much too them. The motor block is just a bolck and then the volute. The shaft is stationary and the impeller moves on the bearing that attaches to the pin wheel. I have run stock and the red wheel. Not sure why you would find a difference with mesh. I mean I woudl deal with MSX and get a new one. If it is too late for that, you don't need a new pump, just try a new impeller.

But both of yours are bad.... that would mean 3 totsal???

8. Click Here!

9. thang45

Yes, it 3 pumps. The last time I put back the needle wheel the noise level were the same as the mesh, but after 8 hours the noise came back.

I thought it might be the needle pins touching the pump, so I cut 1/8” off of each needle, but even that didn’t help. At this point I am lost. I’ve tried everything. I just don’t understand why only the needle making noises, but not the mesh.
    Any recommends?

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

At this point I would say that pin wheel is useless. Don't really know the noise. Sicce are pretty reliable, and pretty simple. Not much to them. Sure there may be a bad one here or there or a noisy one....but three???

Many pump problems have been attached to the pump when they are the mesh mod. I have never seen the need to mesh so I have not done it. I don't know if that caused a problem. I'm sort of out of ideas. The guys at MSX know what they are doing. They have not been able to get it figured out?

11. thang45

I never spoke to the MSX team, only to the online dealer.

I will put back the needle this week and video tape the noise differences between both of them. Hopefully you guys might spot something I didn’t.

12. thang45

I installed the pump with the needle wheel, after a few hours of operation the unit is making a lot of noise.

But if I put my finger over the silencer and then let go the rattle noise stops. What’s up with that?